Safe flowers for the garden!

• 20 Replies

Greengiant152

Safe flowers for the garden!
« on: October 15, 2011, 13:20 »
I'm quit interested in growning some flowers in my allotment next year. I like the idea of companion gardening just not sure which flowers to plant, so as not to attract any unwelcome visitors to my vegetables....... :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Safe flowers for the garden!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 15:27 »
I've moved this over to Grow Your Own, so that more allotment people can see it :)

I'm going to grow a lot more marigold next year, to try to keep the white fly numbers down ::)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 15:45 »
I'm partial to calendulas. They don't grow too tall, easily grow from seed or self-seed, and bees love them as they're single flowers rather than doubles which hold less nectar.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 18:52 »
Calendula are lovely, but the french marigold is, I think, the one often mentioned for companion planting purposes.

Also nasturtiums.

Herbs such as lavender are of course lovely. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 19:20 »
This is a really interesting thread, thanks Greengiant152.  We tried marigolds by our carrots this year but neither marigolds or carrots seemed to grow too well   :blush:

I'm really interested in the subject though especially as we're getting higher on the list on our site for a new plot now.  We only have a half at the mo but when we have more space I'd like to try some flowers to help pollinate our beans and peas etc.

Someone told me it's good to grow onions near broad beans as the black fly are repelled by the smell of onion.  Does anyone know if this is true or (sub)urban myth??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 19:22 »
sorry can't help Benandbill, but peas don't need help with pollination - they are self-fertile  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 20:03 »
Onions and climbers / runners should not be kept together.  The beans don't like it.

Don't know if the same is true for broad beans.

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 20:11 »
Gonna have to do the old spray with soapy water at the 1st sign of fly then just to be safe.

Will be nice to have a nice big veg patch with a smattering of floral coluor though...

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 16:58 »
We tried marigolds by our carrots this year but neither marigolds or carrots seemed to grow too well   :blush:

If I recall, french marigolds produce a chemical in the roots which repel pests so I would have thought carrots would benefit (Mexican marigold even better)  However, Tagetes are also supposed to be effective against some weeds such as celadine, ground elder, ground ivy, couch grass, bindweed and ...  :blink: horsetail (disbelieving ... yeah right) - so may well have affected the carrots (and other members such as parsley, parsnip etc)

Blackfly - nasturtiums are blackfly magnets, supposedly attracts them away from crops.  However, if its a bad year, I think it may just attract blackfly full stop  :lol:  The best thing to do with broad beans is nip the tops off as the blackfly really just want to feast on the tender leaves, and also encourage ladybirds to your plot (don't tidy your plot too much - leave suitable hiding places for them to hibernate (over winter so they'll emerge in spring just when you need them)  

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 22:49 »
I tried planting marigolds next to carrots/toms etc but didn't really see any benefits except they're lovely and still growing - the flowers that is. I've also grown Cosmos/Dahlia/Calendula/Poppies/Ageratum/Salvia in and around the plot and it looked great. In fact all the flowers are still there and pretty as ever. Bees around all the time. Nearly forgot to say that Monty Don said for every vegetable you grow that you need to plant exactly the same amount of the companion flower.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 22:52 by MichelleC »

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 00:50 »
As an experiment this year I surrounded my brassicas with nasturtiums climbing up the fence around the bed, hoping to draw away the cabbage whites. As far as I can tell, it worked fantastically well. I didn't have a single caterpillar on the brassicas, only the nasturtiums. Brassicas elsewhere in the garden did get attacked as usual, so I think it must have been the nasturtiums that did it.

Springlands

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52 »
I planted some stock at the edges of my plot this year - they looked nice, had a beautiful sent and attracted the bees which was good for pollination.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 19:50 »
This year we had sweetpeas and calendulas, which gave vases and vases of cut flowers as well as looking great.

There were also annual lavateras in pink and white - very pretty- some dahlias (more cut flowers) and now moving on to spray chrysanths.

Oh, forgot the miniature daffs and musacri in spring too --- even more cut flowers  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 22:06 »
I have planted a cut flower border which contained sweet peas, dahlias, daffodils, tulips, alliums, nicotiana, cosmos, lilies, lupins and gladioli.  I have interplanted the veg with french marigolds and calendula.  I also have self-seeded borage and poppies growing where they appear.  I think companion/pollinator plants are essential in bringing a balance into the plot.  I still plant veg on over 70% of my plot.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 18:04 »
Sounds lovely Angela  :D

Any piccies?

xx
Plants/Flowers to attract insects to vege garden?

Started by lmcnabb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2006, 20:50
by Annie
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
is it safe?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 22:57
by gardener247

Page created in 1.057 seconds with 31 queries.