Introducing new POL birds

• 7 Replies

lancspoultry

Introducing new POL birds
« on: October 14, 2011, 18:20 »
As mentioned 2 days ago - lost White Sussex & we want to introduce 3 POL birds to existing 3 (all 18 months old) Advise re best egg layers with existing Rhode Island & White Sussex and, most importantly best way of introducing new birds to minimise 'bullying'
Many thanks!

bantam novice

Re: Introducing new POL birds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 19:56 »
Hello Lancspoultry,
I am not an expert but my suggestion would be that you would need to keep the new hens separate from your existing flock for at least two weeks for a quarentine period.  This will mean that your new birds will not pass any nasties on to your existing flock. 
It would help if they can be in sight of each other.
The next step would be to introduce the new birds into the existing flock's coop after dark when they are all semi-comatose.
If you can let them out as early as possible in the morning that would minimise the possible in-coop bullying.
There will always be the establishing of the pecking order and you will still need to keep purple spray handy in case it does get nasty enough to draw blood.
Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

lancspoultry

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08 »
Thanks Bantam novice for advice - we will keep you posted!

John

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52 »
Hi - I'm not at the point of introducing new birds yet, but for when the time comes.....

I can separate during the day as I have two runs, but for night time, only one hen house. Any ideas how I can provide a temporary roost for a couple of weeks for 2 birds? Would a double sized cat carrier do, or maybe a large cardboard box with makeshift perches? (It would be in a secure run at night).

Thanks.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:24 »
Hello Bygrace,
So long as the night coop/shelter is weather-proof and fox-proof it does not matter for two weeks.  The cat carrier sounds ideal.  However I am not an expert and you may get some further advice from more experienced chicken keepers on this forum.  Good luck  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42 »
my cat carriers have plastc mesh doors at the front of them which might be too draughty  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

wardy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44 »
Hi, what I did recently after getting two new warrens I put the new girls in the coop and locked them in with food and water,then when it was going dark and the other girls wanted to go to bed I open the door and let them go in,shut the door and all was quiet,I think because it was dark in the coop they couldn't see each other. Next morning let them all out they had a few scuffles which is natural to get the pecking order sorted out. also put more food containers and water in the coop so that the newbees could access it.hope this helps good luck.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 20:39 »
Thanks all - some good ideas I hadn't thought of. How I love this site!
BG

xx
Introducing new birds.

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 13:25
by hillfooter
xx
introducing new birds.

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 10:19
by Sassy
xx
Introducing New Birds

Started by parson on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 12:51
by ycholmes
xx
Introducing young birds

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:16
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 31 queries.