Introducing New Birds

• 14 Replies

parson

• Experienced Member
Introducing New Birds
« on: August 10, 2010, 17:47 »
Hi

I was wondering what the experts advice would be.

We have had 4 brown hens now for a year and a bit, they're probably between a year and a half to two years old. They are well settled in and we have never really had any major problems.

This year we decide to get another 2 and after looking about got in touch with a breeder just along the road and arranged to get 2 marans from him when they where ready.

We picked up our 2 new chooks on Sunday evening, they are 16-18 weeks old. The breeder advised us to put them in the coop when it was dark, after all the chooks had went in to roost. The following morning when we opened the pop hole and they all came out the older hen were not amused at having to share their run with 2 new birds. The younger ones cant move without getting chased, havnt seen anything too physical, but the young un's are very nervous. They just find a corner and dont move, as if they're petrified.

When I come in from work I let the older 4 into the garden, and the 2 younger ones (still in the run) will then eat from the feeder, drink and peck about a bit.

We're starting to wonder if the 2 new birds are too young to be put into an established flock. They dont even cluck yet, still chirping like chicks.

The breeder said it wouldnt make much difference whether we took them now or in 8 weeks when they would be at POL. He said we would have to cross the bridge either now or then, and could have the same problems whenever we introduced the new birds.

Have we taken them too early? Should we maybe seperate them for a while, or would that just be delaying the problems?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

carolbriar

Re: Introducing New Birds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 18:23 »
Having introduced two new birds myself after having my original ones for only about a month I did the same as you and put the new ones in when it was dark.  The next morning my older ones came out and it wasn't until a little later when they had a look inside the coop again that they realised there were two new hens.  There was a bit of squabbling and eventually they came out - I made sure there were two sets of food and water some distance apart so they could all have some.  I then had the problem that the two new ones wouldn't go into the coop at night and had to wait and put them in when it was dark again.  I only had to do that for about 3 nights and then they started settling down. 
I personally wouldn't separate the hens as you will only have to go through all this again.  Others would recommend that you should have quarantined the new hens for two weeks before putting them together in case of illness etc. 

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along with some sound advice.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 18:38 »
There's not even any squabbling, the 2 young pullets just cower in a corner.

I came in from work today, let the older hens into the garden to give the pullets some peace. Found 1 in the coop and the other in the corner of the run with her head pushed through the mesh, her head was soaking. I picked her up and took her over to the feeder and when the one in the coop saw I had her she came running out all chirpy and relieved to see each other. Dont know how long they had been seperated.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 22:08 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15 »
give them time - introductions can take several weeks and even then the top chicken will still let those below her know she is boss and sadly there always has to be a bottom of the pecking order. The younger ones will gain their confidence in time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:07 »
Hi,
We had two new ones at around 15 week old and have kept them separate but within sight of each others until last week (they are now 23 weeks). I did feel that they were too small and thought it best that they were at least the same size as the others before letting them get bullied. The bullying has not been as bad and the youngsters are too fast for the older ladies. We had do keep the separate for 2/3 weeks anyway in case they had any disease that the others could catch.
If you have the space you could do that and let them get a bit bigger first, if only for your peace of mind.
Good luck!
El.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 13:56 »
Leave them alone they will soon get their confidence. When you introduce new girls there is always some upset they have to sort out the pecking order. Put in more feeders and drinkers so that the new ones can get to food and water. I put buckets in the run on its side so that the new girls can escape into.
A couple of years ago i introduced new girls to the flock and they sat on a shelve in the run for over 3 weeks i thought they were never coming down but now they are a very happy flock. It just takes time and a bit of patience also purple spray to cover any red or pecked injurys.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 17:00 »
Thanks for your replies.

Came home from work today at 4, and my OH had seperated them.

It was her day off today and she said the 4 older ones had a young one in a corner and where pecking at her, feathers everywhere!! We're not even sure if they where getting allowed to feed or drink, even though we have put extra feeders and drinkers in.

So we have split the run to give the young ones some time to grow a bit. They can see each other, so hopefully it wont be as much as a shock when we mix them again. We will put them away at night to roost together.

Think if the new ones where even close to the same size as the older 4 we would have stuck it out. But they seem so small, and nervous compared to the older ones. They seem more relaxed already.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 18:09 »
I am quite new to the whole chicken thing, so do take my advice with a bit of salt.
I went on a course and a question came up about introducing new birds to an existing coop. The guy who took our course made a good point: he said," How would you feel if all of a sudden two strangers moved into your house whilst you were sitting down for your tea and sat on your sofas and made themselves at home? You would be pretty upset and want to evict them in anyway you can!"

This made sense to me and he said what could happen is that they could really fight the new ones. He suggested seperating them for a few weeks but as long as they can see each other everday like two runs next to each other and then they would gradually get used to them. He said putting them all together at the begining could work or it might not, but he said he would never do it.

As I say, I am new to this, so take my humble advice with a pinch of salt.
Alan

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 18:29 »
Hi Parson, the right hand hen in the photo looks like it could be blind or have damage to the left eye. Hope I`m wrong and it is just a trick of the light.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 19:42 »
Think it's just the way the flash has caught her eye. Other pics are fine and so is the chook.

Beano

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46 »
I have several photos of me like that. The flash makes you blink.
I found that letting them get bigger was the better option also.
After a week its not so bad in our place. The two new ones like to hop into the crab apple tree knowing that the others are too arthritic to follow. They still have to wait their turn with the food even though I have put out several feeders.
Your two are lovely looking girls.

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:43 »
Hi Parson, please be prepared for a bit of a wait for eggs... chicks stop cheeping and start rosey usually between 12 and 14 weeks.  At the time of change over - just like a young man when his voice changes - you will get a cocophany of all kinds of squarks and cheeps.

I have raised 31 chicks eiher from hatching or from day olds, and at least 7 different breeds, and they have all started rosey betwen 12 and 14 weeks.

I currently have a black Marans chick at 12 weeks, and her voice is changing at the minute

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

drliz217

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07 »
I've got the same problem.  Last satureday , we introduced 3 point of lay Wellsummers to our 2 older Gingernuts.  The squabbling keeps going on. 2 of the Wellsummers will not come down from the roost and were not eating so we have put some food in the roost for them as they were hugry and egg eating.  The Gingernuts can't get into the roost as the Wellsummers are there.  The Gingernuts are  pecked around the neck, although they seem boss in the pecking order and keep bossing the others around. What's 'purple spray' and should I get some?

ycholmes

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51 »
Hi,
I am very new to this site.  However, I sent in this very same question just over a week ago as I had introduced 2 Orpingtons to my 3 hybrids.  Boy what a commotion.  Two extremely terrified girls.  One particular hybrid - Hattie bullying for all she was worth.  I was almost reduced to tears.  But I took everyones advice and stuck it out.  It was definitely for the best.  They are still nervous around the one particular bully, but going up into bed after the others have gone and free ranging in the garden along with the rest.  It is two weeks today that I put them together and I can see how much easier it already is.  I think another week should really make more of a difference.  I guess when you do put them all together you will still have to go through the process, but remember, it will be ok in the end.  Good luck.
Sue

xx
Introducing new POL birds

Started by lancspoultry on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 20:39
by bygrace
xx
Introducing new birds.

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 13:25
by hillfooter
xx
introducing new birds.

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 10:19
by Sassy
xx
Introducing young birds

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:16
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 30 queries.