tomato performance

• 24 Replies

muntjac

tomato performance
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 19:39 »
im hoping to save some seed from mine this year along with lettuce etc i got sent from a nice lady overseas :wink:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
tomato performance
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 20:13 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"

Any recommendations for tasty toms for next year?  I'd like ones with flavour in the flesh as well as the skin.  This year mine just had the flavour in the skin.

Tommy toe is my fav,  heritage seeds from kings,
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Fat Hen

tomato performance
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 20:27 »
After a dissapointing start my toms eventually come good.#

Got fed up of Pink Brandywines in greehhouse, producing lots of flowers but no fruit, kicked ouside (but being a yorkshire man not binned) and hey presto a few (not many) beautiful fruit (best i've tasted & even converted her indoors who previusly didn't like toms).

Red Berrys done fantastic got pounds & pounds off half a dozen plants, and there still trying now (flowering).

Roma - good crop.  Tried in salad, dodo, made tom sauce for Pizza etc fantastic.

Black Russian (greenhouse & outdoors) - not many , maybe outdoor slighlty better, just a steady crop (kept me in salad throughout july/august).  Her indoors like this one too.

Ailsa Craig - good crop but tasteless.

Gardeners Delight - Wow, planted in june cos were looking at a poor crop, to make up numbers.  Huge trusses of lovely toms and still producing, though plants are looking very sorry for themselves.

Yellow Pigmy - in baskets & somewhat neglected (forget about them), moderate crop despite withering wind throughout this summer.

Totem - two plants - two tomatoes, need I say more.  To be fair were planted late & also neglected.

Picked a few kilos this weekend.  Still loads on plants.

Best for taste/texture - Pink Brandywine, followed by Black Russian.
Best crop - Red Berry, followed by Gardners delight.

As an aside I don't particularly like cherry toms, preferring the beef type.  So all my small type went to making tom sauce (frozen) to cook with.  Just had a lovely Chilli con carne, made with homegrown toms & chillis.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomato performance
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 20:56 »
Sods law isn't it.

In the past I've grown Ferline - supposedly a highly resistant to blight variety. Last year they were too big, too many, couldn't give them away tomatoes, so I knocked them on the head this year and planted a few other varities outside. - Result - total wipe out.

However the greenhouse ones have done exceptionally well this year and I always grow ' Shirley' in there. This is the one area I refuse to experiment with as I've found a variety I can grow well and has exceptional taste. (Well don't they all compared to T*sco).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

tomato performance
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 20:57 »
You can more carefully consider outdoor or indoor variety, that meaning, outdoor toms need pollinators, hence success after being kicked out...
Have not tried that one,but can second on Gardener's Delight and must add Tigerella, good flavour, both of them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

noshed

tomato performance
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 11:45 »
I've found Tigerella and Green Grape are tasty. There's some I got from Wilkos with a mildly Italian name which were good too. The Marmande grew big and then rotted. Some of the plum Roma were good but a lot rotted.
I've lost the labels on the rest.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Lynne

tomato performance
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 14:08 »
I grew my first ever tomatoes this year, outside. I used gardener's delight and I am thrilled with the results. From 4 plants I have had loads of lovely trusses and they are still growing. They taste lovely too.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
tomato performance
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 17:03 »
This year I decided to grow an outdoor plum variety - Roma I think.  I started these off way back in March but we have just not had the weather to ripen them this year.  I have about 20 plants, most of them with fruit, but not a single tomato looks even the slightest bit ripe.  We have just not had enough sun or heat this year.  I now have a plastic greenhouse for next year - 20 quid from ebay - so hopefully things will improve next year.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
tomato performance
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 19:28 »
gregmcalister, pick them before the first frosts, put them in them shallow fruit boxes from the supermarket keep then spread out so they ain't touching and keep them frost free but a little warmth is better and they will ripen or if you want them all to ripen quickly leave a ripe bannna or apple near by.

EzLou

• Experienced Member
tomato performance
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 09:58 »
" plants have looked fine and then fallen over"
Ha - you mean they aren't supposed to do that?

We planted ours late and grew them outdoors - we had some lovely toms off the Sungold - which I highky recommend for juicy succulent flavour as good as strawberries!
The tumbling toms and Black Cherries haven't done so well for flavour or yield [we assume - I'm still not entirely sure I've got all the labelling right - except for the Sungolds which ripened beautifully].

They are all still flowering and producing although getting a bit woolly now rather than flavoursome and not producingenough ripe ones at any one time to do anything useful with - not helped by the way I keep 'testing' them as they ripen. So I get a nice tom or two to treatr myself each morning but not enough to make an actual recipe with.

I thought this was just tomatoes in general but guess by the comments here its just been a bad year.

xx
Allotment performance going down year on year

Started by Julian Rees on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2023, 19:48
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato help

Started by arwen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 08:45
by tode
xx
Tomato

Started by Tantalus39 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2020, 12:03
by Growster...

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 30 queries.