Aubergine problems

• 5 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Aubergine problems
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:17 »
Hi,

Has anyone come across this before, I'm growing aubergine f1moneymaker in an un-heated greenhouse, the plants have all grown well and are in pots around 8" diameter and 10" deep. each plant is about 24"-30" high and has 2 - 3 fruit, they start nice and black but as they get a bit bigger they go a milky pale colour (these are supposed to be black!) and just grow really slowly.
I water every day although I have missed the odd day, I give them a good watering until it runs out the base of the pot, I tried adding some liquid organic tomato feed every few days but this did nothing to help. Some of the lower leaves have lost their colour, a bit yellowish.
I open the greenhouse door when it's really hot, otherwise it has a roof vent that opens automatically and a side louvre that I have kept open. I'm new to this greenhouse lark!
We did eat one the other day and the taste was lovely but they just have not grown well and the colour must indicate I'm doing something wrong!!

Any advice appreciated!
Cheers,

Wayne.

muntjac

Aubergine problems
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 15:30 »
they need feeding  use teaspoon ( superphosphate  ) potash per plant and 1/4 teaspooon sulphate of ammonia and water today but leave the morrows so the plants find a thirst then water every other day
still alive /............

mkhenry

Re: Aubergine problems
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 18:00 »
Quote from: "kentishlad"
Hi,

Has anyone come across this before, I'm growing aubergine f1moneymaker in an un-heated greenhouse, the plants have all grown well and are in pots around 8" diameter and 10" deep. each plant is about 24"-30" high and has 2 - 3 fruit, they start nice and black but as they get a bit bigger they go a milky pale colour (these are supposed to be black!) and just grow really slowly.
I water every day although I have missed the odd day, I give them a good watering until it runs out the base of the pot, I tried adding some liquid organic tomato feed every few days but this did nothing to help. Some of the lower leaves have lost their colour, a bit yellowish.
I open the greenhouse door when it's really hot, otherwise it has a roof vent that opens automatically and a side louvre that I have kept open. I'm new to this greenhouse lark!
We did eat one the other day and the taste was lovely but they just have not grown well and the colour must indicate I'm doing something wrong!!

Any advice appreciated!

Aubergines grow better if you remove the growing tip when they get to 12"high.
When they have 5 fruits its a good idea to remove all the side shoots and any flowers.
This makes the plant concentrate on the fruit.
Once the fruits start to swell feed with tomatoe feed every time you water.
Its best to keep the compost damp to the touch rather than making it too wet.
Red spider mite can be the most serious problem so check early in the season to keep them under control.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gobs

Aubergine problems
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:58 »
Quote from Gardeners Question Time, BBC Radio4, 8 December 2002
"Question from Jill Kerrington of Barnsley: I grew aubergines for the first time this year. They did extremely well, except that they went yellow rather than purple. Why might this be, and how can I improve them?
Bob: The original aubergine, called the egg plant, has a small, white, egg-shaped fruit which is pretty miserable, just a lot of skin and seed and not much pulp: some people still sell that to unsuspecting purchasers. Aubergines do come in different colours, in India they probably have about two hundred different varieties and they’re used for almost every purpose you can imagine in Indian cooking! But the normal aubergine as we know it is the purple-skinned one. I suspect that yours were a bit cold, and they’re just turning yellow and rotting.
Pippa: But there don’t seem to be any signs of rotting, they just seem to be yellow rather than purple. Something similar happened to mine this year: it planted a good purple variety, and I ended up with a whole lot of creamy white aubergines - nothing would have induced me to buy white aubergine seeds! Unfortunately I can’t find the packet to trace back what it should have been. I agree with Bob, but mine weren’t the original egg-shaped ones, they were aubergine shaped, but disappointingly tough skinned, and I wonder if the same thing’s happened to you. "

Not much help, I now, but it happens that one just gets some wrong seed.         I once grew quite a few white beetroot amongst my red ones... :roll:
I disagree with them on the flavour of white aubergines, but mine were properly white, did not start out purple.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

Aubergine problems
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06 »
can you put where the question answer thing came from gobs please ...... all copied / repeated writen text must have a reference to go to for copyright laws :wink:

gobs

Aubergine problems
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:50 »
Thanks, MJ, I edit that :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

xx
Aubergine

Started by myden on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 18:48
by myden
clip
Aubergine rot?

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2019, 09:19
by Twood
xx
Aubergine

Started by cricketwidow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 08:01
by sunshineband
xx
Aubergine

Started by veginbeds on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 23:01
by veginbeds

Page created in 0.822 seconds with 36 queries.