tomato performance

• 24 Replies

noshed

tomato performance
« on: September 22, 2007, 21:03 »
I have made a careful investigation and discussed it all with my plot neighbours. We have concluded that it has been a rubbish year for tomatoes. However I have got round this by growing a very large amount. I have lots of rotten ones and some blighty ones but loads to eat. Unfortunately due to a technical hitch I'm not sure which are the tastieist. All I know is that some are.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomato performance
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 21:07 »
I've also made a technical investigation discussed it with fellow plot holders and we've come to the conclusion that we've not got an outside tomato between us. :cry:  :cry:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muntjac

tomato performance
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 21:08 »
mine are fine  :tongue2:
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
tomato performance
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 21:10 »
Well as long as they taste ok who cares  :lol:  I ended up with just two variety's tomy toe which is my favourite and big boy. started of with about 40 or so plants and 1/2 doz varietys and have finished with just 4 in the greenhouse, none outside.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Sally A

tomato performance
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 21:12 »
Moneymaker did fine, I thought one had a bit of blight but it doesn't seem to have spread.  4 plants have kept us going since early July.  the Romas that caught blight were transferred to another greenhouse (roof/no sides) and 2 out of the four are still producing.

noshed

tomato performance
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 21:13 »
It's been weird - plants have looked fine and then fallen over. I've got lovely fruits off the same truss as rotten ones. And my regime of benign neglect has been no less succesful than the intense daily attention of my neighbours.

fatbelly

tomato performance
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 22:02 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
I've also made a technical investigation discussed it with fellow plot holders and we've come to the conclusion that we've not got an outside tomato between us. :cry:  :cry:

I was given five Alicante plants back in June and planted them outdoors, all I got of them was four Toms in total.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomato performance
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 22:30 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
Quote from: "Digger Dave"

I was given five Alicante plants back in June and planted them outdoors, all I got of them was four Toms in total.

Where I should have had 32 outdoor toms - there are 8 bare teepees!
I won't loose sleep. Next year is around the corner.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
tomato performance
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 22:59 »
Sine my outdoor toms had blight about 3 years ago, I don't grow many outside, with having the poytunnel now, but I did plant 8 tumbling toms thta Munty sent me.  The 4 I put in a big hayrack on the back of the house didn't too well, they grew stunted (probably my fault) and produced 1 tomato!  However the 4 I planted in an old waste bin outside my big greenhouse are still doing quite well, althouth one looks a bit sad I noticed today.

Then out of the 80 in the polytunnel and greenhouse, about 10 got blight quite bad in their stems, so I had to dig them up, includig my Inca's that oliver sent me, but although the others got blight to a certain extent, with keeping the watering down on the ground and both doors open, I only get the odd leaf now and again with blight.  Mind you, the plants look weird.  They are bare of leaves mainly, until you get to the top, but I've filled my little freezer with chopped toms again, and been giving some to neighbours, so I can't complain.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
tomato performance
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 23:17 »
I picked some very unripe, undergrown tomato fruits when the last of my plants succumbed to the blight. Put them in a brown bag, forgot about them for the past 6 weeks or so. Today, I found them, all are ripe and good. So, after all the bad blight, I got me a handful of little edible but not tasty tomatoes, and for a first attempt, I'm well proud of that fact!  :D even though I probably shouldn't be? :oops:  They can only be used for cooking though!

They don't look very pretty either, but I grew them all!

Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

muntjac

tomato performance
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 23:19 »
stick some tomato sauce in em and make em into passata  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
tomato performance
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 23:19 »
Doesn't matter if they don't look pretty!  You growd them all on our own!!!! lol

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
tomato performance
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 23:53 »
Yeah baby! Grew them all by myself, and I'll actually have a go at making homemade ketchup with them. Passata needs more tomatoes I think!

Love gardening! And thanks to these forums I'm getting tipsy on blackcurrant vodka,  :oops:  

Time for bed..........

Ali

tomato performance
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 19:16 »
i was so disappointed with toms this year - i went all out with the roma ones john raves about, but all got blight. next year i will buy a greenhouse or else not bother i think, all that tying up took ages and i could have used the space for sweetcorn!

sweet nasturtium

tomato performance
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 19:37 »
I had 40 tomato plants which I grew from cheap Lid* seeds.  The large ones didn't do at all, the others all got blight eventually, but I haven't bought any from a shop since July.  So I'm quite happy.

Any recommendations for tasty toms for next year?  I'd like ones with flavour in the flesh as well as the skin.  This year mine just had the flavour in the skin.

xx
Allotment performance going down year on year

Started by Julian Rees on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2023, 19:48
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato - What is this

Started by WelshBoa on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 14:43
by Nadlen
xx
Tomato rot

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2015, 18:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.636 seconds with 36 queries.