sick chickies

• 3 Replies

betty

• Experienced Member
sick chickies
« on: September 21, 2007, 05:14 »
Hello I am new to this site.  I resently bought a trio, 1 rooster 2 hens, 1 hen had a nose cold,sneezing,and then she rattled with a head cold,  the other 2 seemed fine, after the hen that WAS well had peeps, everyone has it now. I want to take them all to the vet, I have been applying vetrx to the head and beek nightly, seems to help.  What do you think is wrong and is there meds. I can give or should I vet check them?  poo looks o.k. except for 1, clear and runny today.  PLEASE HELP I really like them and I think the person who sold them to me should have known better to put them together as a trio, I want to help them, can you help me? thank you very much. :(  :(  ps: what might the sickness be called so I can tell the vet?

muntjac

sick chickies
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:48 »
if the hen is responding to the meds then carry on doing so .as for the diagnosis i cannot help as chickens get colds and all the other ailments and without seeing the bird i cant help ,i wouldnt worry at the minute . as for the cockerel did you want it if not take it back and say so , food and water them as normal dont change any of the diet until thye have all settled in. what where they fed on and did the seller give / tel you what it was .had they been innoculated .etc he/ she should have given a complete history of the chucks .......
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sick chickies
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:52 »
I'd like to reinforce what Munty has said.  Don't let a seller pass of unwell birds on to you.  Don't get a cockerel if you don't want one.  Make sure you know the complete history of the birds.  

I've heard of so many people who have bought a sick bird and once you get it home and get attached and feel sorry for it there is no going back  :cry:

Munty always give excellent advice about bird health and welfare.  Check with the supplier and get the birds life story, even go there again (not on your own) and see if any of his birds have the same symptoms - he will know whats wrong with them.

If your birds are pets (like mine) you may well choose to go to a vet but one who is an expert with birds is not that easy to find.  

This site might give you some information to link the symptoms with the cause :

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

Good luck and do let us know how you get on  :D

betty

• Experienced Member
sickie chickies-thank you
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 14:59 »
Thank you all so much for helping me.  I went to the suggested site,and I think they have Infectious Bronchitis. I am taking them to the vet to be checked.  Also, I am going to contact the lady who sold them to me, and let her know after the vet check. I'm sure she is aware of the problem, I really like them and they are my first chickens. Lucky me!  I will let you know what the out come is.  Again, thank you so much. You have a wonderful site.

xx
2 sick chickies!

Started by Beth on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 15:09
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
New Chickies (yes.....with pictures!!)

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 21:34
by chicken soup
xx
Keeping chickies entertained

Started by chickychick2409 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 18:10
by chickychick2409
xx
Big chickens won't accept my chickies :(

Started by Carla on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 06:37
by New shoot

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 28 queries.