Keeping the run clean

• 5 Replies

Springlands

Keeping the run clean
« on: August 01, 2011, 14:16 »
Our chickens have a large, grass run and it is poo picked regularly. However there is one area which is starting to smell and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a disinfectant that can be used on grass to disperse the smell and that would be safe for the hens. I have been using a hose to spray the area but it is not making much difference. Thanks for any advice.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Keeping the run clean
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 14:22 »
stalasan f is a powdered disinfectant that is very good  :)
there is also Vikron s and bio dry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 14:29 »
Thanks Joyful - are they OK to use on grass - when I was reading the product descriptions I got the impression that they should only be used in the hen houses.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 14:34 »
they should be - I think a lot of people on here use them in their runs. There is also a liquid disinfectant called Vanodine V18 - I will look at my bottle when I get home to see what it says on that. Some use lime on the ground but you would have to keep the chickens off it for a while.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 15:27 »
Thanks again Joyful - I will see if I can get the stalasan f when we go to get the chicks feed this week.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 23:22 »
I use dolomite lime to sprinkle on areas where the soil has gone 'sour' from too much acid in the droppings.  You don't have to keep the chickens off the dolomite lime, although you do with other types of lime as it can burn their skin.  (Strong lime will also burn the grass of course.)

If it's an area of compacted soil you could also try just poking a few holes in the soil to add extra air.  Generally the anaerobic bacteria are the stinky ones and once you let air into the soil it can help to freshen it up a bit.

Personally I prefer not to use disinfectants on the soil as it kills all the good micro-organisms along with the bad ones, and long term it can make the smell problem worse instead of better.  But of course everyone needs to make their own decisions based on the type of soil and climate they have.

xx
Keeping run clean

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 17:30
by nicky d
xx
Keeping the water clean

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 21:41
by Nogger
xx
Keeping the run dry, chickens clean?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 18:52
by Totty
xx
Keeping Water Clean

Started by garddwr on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:57
by garddwr

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 29 queries.