Keeping the water clean

• 17 Replies

honeysuckle farm

Keeping the water clean
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:52 »
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to keep the chickens water supply clean.  I have purchased a few different water containers from Scats, that automaically refill.

I have put the water feeder on a block which has kept it cleaner for longer, but they do like to scratch and flick dirt into it.  Some days I am changing the water every hour or so.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Keeping the water clean
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 13:05 »
I know what you mean, outside our chooks have these 2ish gallon half height buckets, which does get a bit dirty, but they are re-filled once or twice a day, but for the turkeys house, we got 2 of these.  They are very good, albeit not the cheapest things going, but even when the turkeys sit on top nand poop, the poop doesn't get into the water.  Just gets a bit mucky occasionally in the water tray underneath with a bit of flicked up shavings or maybe if they have a dirty beak after feeding.  

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6234

They hold 30 litres of water, so we only fill them once a day with 2 buckets outside.  When we had 4x9litre drinkers in there, we were filling them 3 tmes a day!!!!  I think P&P was about £8 though.

poultrygeist

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 15:01 »
Ours is on a patch of concrete and then on 2 bricks. It keeps clean 99% of the time.

Could you place it on a slab or 4 (and elevate it further) to keep the litter away from it ??

Rob 8)

FCG

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 20:16 »
Paving slabs are your friend. S'long as you can keep it level.

Aunty Sal, i like the construction. Methinks i'll try that with some bottles and tubing before i go and buy one.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Keeping the water clean
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 22:27 »
i got a couple of cheap plastic plant pot stands from wilkinsons. it seems to raise the drinkers up just enough to keep the worst out

scooter

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 17:39 »
I had a similar problem so put the water on a couple of house bricks with a small slab on top to raise it up. It still gets some dirt in but no where near as bad as before.
Life is good

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Keeping the water clean
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 19:47 »
I use a washing up bowl on some big stones, fill it up and it's quite heavy.  They like to stand on the side and drink, even though they do this it doesn't tip over or get too dirty. :D

FCG

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 20:24 »
Quote from: "babe"
i got a couple of cheap plastic plant pot stands from wilkinsons. it seems to raise the drinkers up just enough to keep the worst out

Get any slugs/snails try hiding in them? Would be fun if they did - get them to hide where they'll be a tasty snack with a drink.

muntjac

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 20:34 »
stick a nail in the roof and hang it from some string about the chest hieght of ya chucks :wink:
still alive /............

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
Keeping the water clean
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 23:13 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
I know what you mean, outside our chooks have these 2ish gallon half height buckets, which does get a bit dirty, but they are re-filled once or twice a day, but for the turkeys house, we got 2 of these.  They are very good, albeit not the cheapest things going, but even when the turkeys sit on top nand poop, the poop doesn't get into the water.  Just gets a bit mucky occasionally in the water tray underneath with a bit of flicked up shavings or maybe if they have a dirty beak after feeding.  

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6234

They hold 30 litres of water, so we only fill them once a day with 2 buckets outside.  When we had 4x9litre drinkers in there, we were filling them 3 tmes a day!!!!  I think P&P was about £8 though.
That looks excellent, bought mine a feeder for water / food recently, they hate them prefer the old cast iron  casserole dishes they were used to.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
keeping drinkers clean
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:55 »
I hang the hens drinker on a chain from the indoor roof to about the same height as the feeder, about 20 cm from the floor.  They keep quite
clean and I only have to change once a day. :wink:
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Lardman

Re: keeping drinkers clean
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01 »
Quote from: "colliebird"
I hang the hens drinker on a chain from the indoor roof to about the same height as the feeder, about 20 cm from the floor.  

I had to go that way with mine - even on bricks it kept getting knocked over when the girls play chase the spaghetti worm.

poultrygeist

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04 »
The problem is, a lot of the cheaper (and some costly ones) don't have a hanging loop. You could glue something on I suppose. But you can't really drill the top because it needs a vacuum to work.

Rob 8)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Keeping the water clean
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 18:33 »
I have the fancy drinkers, a selection of sizes and designs ..from those nasty plastic ones that never seem to work, to the expensive metal and glass ones, but I don't use them! I prefer to cut a hole along the side of a 5 litre water bottle, as these can be replaced regularly and are easy to use. I don't need to hang them as they stay clean, but you could easily make two small holes in the top and hang them. i lay them sideways as that way you get a larger area but, if getting dirt in is a problem you could hang them the right way up.

Using these you're not only recycling, being kind to the planet, but also drinking lots of water so being kind to yourself! (Sorry, only works if you drink bottled water...or know someone else who does)

Maybe I can polish off the halo I was sent this morning!

Judi  :wink:

Knight Family

Keeping the water clean
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 19:45 »
Judi, Possible pic please ?
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

xx
Keeping Water Clean

Started by garddwr on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:57
by garddwr
xx
Keeping the run clean

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 23:22
by Lindeggs
xx
Keeping run clean

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 17:30
by nicky d
xx
Keeping the run dry, chickens clean?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 18:52
by Totty

Page created in 0.9 seconds with 37 queries.