planting grape vines

• 10 Replies

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
planting grape vines
« on: July 19, 2011, 18:23 »
Hi everyone, I have 3 Black Hamburg vines that I took as cuttings a few months ago, they are about 2 feet tall and growing very well. I am thinking of planting one in each of my 2 polytunnels and the last one in my greenhouse. For various reasons, it would be very difficult to plant them outside and then train them indoors, so I am going to plant them straight indoors. Are there any real disadvantages to this method, I would hate to train them for a few years and have to take them out. Also, when is the right time to plant them?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: planting grape vines
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 21:00 »
Hi sonnycbr,

I'm no expert but I think it sounds perfectly reasonable to do this but the main thing you will need to do is have enough sturdy support in the poly and greenhouse and to check them periodically in case the poly ones are threatening to burst through the poly plastic.

Other than preparing their beds well and keeping them moist I think they should do really well.  I know an old fella on my allotments who has a white grape in his greenhouse and he can't now get into it because it grew so big and has blocked the doorway! :lol:

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 21:20 »
rhs suggest planting in early autumn to early spring.(dormant period)
I've got black hamburg planted in my greenhouse, about 5yrs now. As already said eventual weught of crop should be considered. Even thinning mine back quite hard i must have 80plus large bunches on the 1 plant.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56 »
yes  very strong supports, they get very heavy when fully loaded

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 16:18 »
Thank you all very much for your advice. I will definitely need to put extra supports in the tunnels but that won't be a problem. Looks like I'll have to wait till autumn to plant them so I'll be potting them up. By the sounds of it I'll be having grapes galore in a few years time.  :) :) :)

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:51 »
If you can you might want to plant to root section outside of the polytunnely/green house and train it back in through the bottow as this means you dont have to worry less about the watering, but this obvioulsy depends on how your polytunnel and greenhouse were set up as to how easy difficult it is. With growing them indoors you will want to keep an eye on them for boytrisis, though this can lead to some very nice wine (see noble rot). Like others have mentioned make sure you have a good sturdy support and give some thought to future pruning and training.

Helps if you dig in plenty of good compost etc when planting to help give it a good start, apparantly in ye olde days people used to bury the corpse of a cow where they planted their grape vines. Also it is generally recommended not to let them form fruit for the first couple of years to encourage a decent root structure.

hope that is of some help.

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00 »
apparantly in ye olde days people used to bury the corpse of a cow where they planted their grape vines.

Only if they happened to have one lying about. :D
Any day above ground is a good day.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 14:44 »
You can dig a trench from outside the Polytunnel in to same and feed the root outside allowing it to tap into the water table the fruiting branches are then inside being protected from the vagaries of the UK weather.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

stompy

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:52 »
I had one planted in the greenhouse and it did well, plenty of fruit.

The only problem with growing them inside is that their roots can extend quite a way out.

This then interfered with the planting of the anual greenhouse crops as when digging the hole for the toms for e.g. i was comming accross roots from the vine and ended up breaking them

I also couldn't dig the borders over to incorporate manure/compost (etc) for the same reason.

I am growing the vine Flame in my new GH this time and i will be siteing the roots outside the GH and guiding the stem in through a piece of policarb sheet with a hole in it that will be replacing a piece of glass at the back.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 19:01 »
stompy,   thats what i would have thought about the roots, however, i've not had that problem.
I have a hamburg one side of greenhouse and a champagne the other. I've changed the soil in there twice since i planted them but stayed 3ft away from them and only came across a few quite small roots that i replaced carefully.
I do remember reading that they are typically deep rooted and thought maybe they head outside to the cool.

Having said that, a friend, has a vine that sends a large root 12foot along his g;house only 3 ins down. When he changes his soil every 3yrs in the winter, when the vine is dormant, moves it away from were he will be planting tom's etc but its back in the middle of everything again come that summer.

Isn't it amazing how much stuuff varies from area to area and year to year :) :)

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:07 »
i bought my vines from here http://www.winegrowers.info/ the site has great advice on growing them and training them and you know its not just rubbish to get you to buy as they sell trade as their main customers.
also my 6 that i got really cheap are growing very well for their first year.

xx
Planting grape vines

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 22:23
by richyrich7
xx
Grape vines

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 21:39
by jambop
xx
Grape Vines

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 15:02
by sandygreen
xx
grape vines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 21:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 29 queries.