Grape Vines

• 4 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Grape Vines
« on: March 09, 2011, 17:51 »
I wanted to buy a grape vine but read somewhere that you cannot pick any grapes for three years.  Is this the case for all vines or was it just that particular vine I was looking at?  Three years seems an awful long time to wait!

Babstreefern

Re: Grape Vines
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 19:26 »
Yes, that's the case I'm sorry to say.  My first harvest for mine is actually this year :D

Also, to get a decent harvest of grapes, never water it or feed it, as all the "goodness" will go instead into the leaves and not the fruit, and will result in poor harvest.
Babs

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 19:37 »
I have a Boskoop Glory growing inside my polytunnel. Last year was its first full year. I allowed just one bunch of grapes to develop right at the very bottom of the vine. These grapes turned out to be plump and sweet tasting. This is not what you are supposed to do,but this year I'm going to allow four bunches to devolpe and then every year after that I hope for a full harvest.
people talk rubbish

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25 »
I think growers like to attach a little too much mystery to grape vines.

If you think they survive clinging to a rock in brilliant sunshine in some places, they usually need a good talking to, with correct pruning to stop them answering back!

We had two Muscat vines which took over the greenhouse, and did very lttle for years, except block out the light, and stick to the glass on the roof.

Instead of chucking them out, we planted them on the north side of a 5' wall, in pretty awful soil, and told them to get on with it.

After three years we got a few bunches at the top, which were not enough to enjoy, but last year they began to thrive and get interesting, with three good sized bunches between them.

I think pruning them is the key, and I really don't understand the correct technique yet - hence the suspicion that we can be told a little too much from some experts...

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 15:02 »
Thanks for this, well they say patience is a virtue!  I do like the idea of allowing just one bunch, if I get one, at least it will be something

xx
Grape vines

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 21:39
by jambop
xx
Grape Vines

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 19:58
by Babstreefern
xx
grape vines

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 21:39
by Trillium
xx
Grape vines

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:14
by realfood

Page created in 4.59 seconds with 36 queries.