Feeding chicks

• 12 Replies

Vivian

Feeding chicks
« on: September 16, 2007, 17:50 »
Hi all me again!  My Welsummer chicks are 4 weeks old now and I am feeding them on chick crumbs BUT they seem really hungry and have even eaten corn which I tried to feed the mother hen.  Should I now start to feed them on growers  pellets as they are quite large chicks and could manage them or is it too early

Vivian  :?:
There's always someone worse off than you

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feeding chicks
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 18:08 »
I was told not to give them corn just yet, but growers from 4 weeks was recommended to us by the hatchery.  Ours are still only 10 days old, but they can eat for England!!!  They have eaten 30kgs of chick crumb since we got them!!!!

Vivian

Feeding chicks
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 18:20 »
Thanks for that.  I was worried about my 9 chicks but having read your saga, I really feel for you.  I would be running around like a, dare I say it a headless chicken if I had your massive brood to look out for.  Well done on coping with such a crowd.

Vivian

agapanthus

Feeding chicks
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 19:01 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I was told not to give them corn just yet, but growers from 4 weeks was recommended to us by the hatchery.  Ours are still only 10 days old, but they can eat for England!!!  They have eaten 30kgs of chick crumb since we got them!!!!

Tell me about it Annie......my 2 just managed to get into the kitchen while the cats were feeding and nicked a big chunk of catfood each!!! :shock:  :shock:

GrannieAnnie

Feeding chicks
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 21:51 »
Oh, I know, they are unbelievable aren't they? Cat food too?????  blimey.  Wel, we had about 24 in the dining room most of the day, but at least they were in boxes!!!!

Luckily, we've got half a tonne of chick crumb coming Tuesday sometime.  That should keep em going for another few weeks!!!!

muntjac

Feeding chicks
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 22:18 »
they will eat corn when they want . i suggest you put some through a blender and make a rough mash for them . allow them to have some of this in the coops if the mom lets them .usually you will see a mom chucking bits about in the coop for the chicks to eat .. blend a couple lbs for each coop and just throw it in a tray and they will do thier own thing ,, incidently i feed crumbs to 8 weeks and then slowly as above feed the mash .the longer blended the more floury it looks but i like it just this side of being that so the birds have something to chew on
still alive /............

Vivian

Feeding chicks
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 14:31 »
Thanks Muntjac I will have a go with the corn in the blender.  Can I also ask you as I know you are  Welsummer man -  3 or 4 of my 4 week old chicks have combs and the others have not as yet.  Does this mean that they are male or that they have just hatched earlier than the rest?  If this doesn't mean they are cockrels, how early can you tell and how please.

Vivian

muntjac

Feeding chicks
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 14:39 »
they are just maturing sooner .when they crow for certainthey are cockerals .but they usually look biger n strut about with her heads in the air ( look at me ) wait till they start crowing for certain incidently a hen can change into a cockerel ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, even after laying eggs
its caused  when a knackeredovary causes the hen's testosterone levels to climb out of all proportion  turning the remaining ovary into a nut  :wink:

Vivian

Feeding chicks
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 19:32 »
Righto!!!!  Not sure if you,re pulling my leg here or not Muntjac, maybe if you hadn't added that winking smiley, I would be more inclined to believe you.  :?   Still you are the chicken man.  I do believe you.

Vivian

GrannieAnnie

Feeding chicks
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 20:26 »
Oh Munty's right about the sex change hens Vivian.  There was another thread or 2 some time back about it, and a link to a bit on a TV news programme!

muntjac

Feeding chicks
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 22:51 »
i wil tell you the truth in all i post as i know it .... if im pulling ya leg,watch out ur stocking may come loose :lol:  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feeding chicks
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 22:59 »
He be speakin truth  :!:

Vivian

Feeding chicks
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 12:45 »
Well I never!!! You see you learn something every day don't you?  My hens aren't laying too well at present, I hope they aren't changing sex.

xx
feeding chicks

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 18:14
by Jo57
xx
Feeding chicks

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 21:38
by ck2day
xx
feeding chicks

Started by kevans on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicks & feeding

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 17:35
by joyfull

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 28 queries.