feeding chicks

• 8 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
feeding chicks
« on: May 20, 2013, 21:10 »
I have been keeping my broody and her chicks in a separate coop eating chick crumb, but for the past 2 weeks have been letting them out with the others in the afternoon. The flock has accepted them happily. Then Mo takes the babes off to bed in their coop and they are separate with their own food again. The chicks are coming up to 6 weeks and I was about to start them on growers pellets. Tonight, though, Mo has taken them off to bed in the main house. My question is, should I move them back so they have to eat their own food or put theirs out for general help yourself? (I'm not using medicated food) . My feeling is to let Mo decide where she wants to be with them but not sure if that is the right thing to do.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: feeding chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45 »
They do need the chick crumb and then the growers for their development.  If they eat layers too early it is not good for them.  Think it has too much calcium for them and lacking in protein percentage that they need. 

You might find that Mo will leave them in a few weeks which makes it easier for you to have the chicks separate.

I keep my birds in their enclosure until after lunch so they have had a good fill of growers pellets before they free range and nick some of the layers pellets. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 16:32 »
I watched them all come out of the main house this morning after being in the big cuddle which is night time in one nesting box. One wandered into the chick crumb in their own little coop so hopefully they are getting enough if they know where to go. It is great to see them so happily integrated. Will make sure they have plenty of the right food available.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 16:45 »
If my hens get chance they would eat all the chick crumb and growers pellets.  They love trying to steal what isn't theirs.   ::) :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 21:30 »
oh no! tonight Mo gone into main house and so have chicks but separately. The three chicks are in the other (less popular nest box) I thought I'd try and move them but caused panic so have left well alone. Now they are spread out among the others. They are 6 weeks exactly. Are they old enough to fend for themselves? If I move them to separate coop alone will they be warm enough? If they are separated now after getting on ok will it be harder to reintroduce them? So many questions.....and I thought I knew what I was doing this time!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 22:06 »
They should be fine while it is dark.  Best let them out at first light though so Mo can care for them again.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01 »
Phew all well this morning. They look great all wandering together, big and small AND the little ones popped into their old run for some crumb so looking good.
Another panic over!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:33 »
If any of your laying hens are eating the chick crumb and it contains ACS you shouldn't eat their eggs. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 18:14 »
using non-medicated chick crumb

xx
feeding chicks

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 15:05
by JaK
xx
feeding chicks

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 22:31
by danmegal
xx
Feeding chicks

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 21:38
by ck2day
xx
Chicks & feeding

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 17:35
by joyfull

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.