It was birds all along

• 8 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
It was birds all along
« on: July 14, 2011, 19:27 »
I have a nice little pear tree in my garden that produces a big crop of fruit every year, but I have yet to eat one of them. Long before they're anywhere near full size, let alone ripe, they've all been eaten. I've always blamed wasps, because there always seemed to be a few buzzing around them, but this year I've been watching them like a hawk and I think it was birds all along. Every time I walk out there, a bird flies up from the tree (not sure what sort, but it's small and fast). And now that I'm looking more closely, the first signs of chewing on the fruit does look very much like birds pecking at them.

I'm stunned that birds would go for them. They're cooking pears, absolutely rock hard and certainly no sweet smell, and they're nowhere near full size but already a good proportion of them have been chewed. Yet the lovely sweet apples growing right next to them are never touched. Has anybody seen this before, or is this just local birds with a bizarre taste in fruit?

And another thing - something has been biting the tops off my iceberg and butterhead lettuce. Not the Little Gem, for some reason they're never touched. It's not slugs, I do have pellets down, and they're being bitten off whole, sometimes the attacked leaf is left lying on the ground. I don't think it's rabbits because they're growing in an area that's pretty securely fenced off. Is it more likely to be birds or mice doing this?

hamstergbert

Re: It was birds all along
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 19:32 »
Airborne rats - wood pigeons.

They got some of mine too (esp radiccio)....grrrrrrr............
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

gobs

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 21:06 »
I have a nice little pear tree in my garden that produces a big crop of fruit every year, but I have yet to eat one of them. Long before they're anywhere near full size, let alone ripe, they've all been eaten. I've always blamed wasps, because there always seemed to be a few buzzing around them, but this year I've been watching them like a hawk and I think it was birds all along. Every time I walk out there, a bird flies up from the tree (not sure what sort, but it's small and fast). And now that I'm looking more closely, the first signs of chewing on the fruit does look very much like birds pecking at them.

I'm stunned that birds would go for them. They're cooking pears, absolutely rock hard and certainly no sweet smell, and they're nowhere near full size but already a good proportion of them have been chewed. Yet the lovely sweet apples growing right next to them are never touched. Has anybody seen this before, or is this just local birds with a bizarre taste in fruit?

And another thing - something has been biting the tops off my iceberg and butterhead lettuce. Not the Little Gem, for some reason they're never touched. It's not slugs, I do have pellets down, and they're being bitten off whole, sometimes the attacked leaf is left lying on the ground. I don't think it's rabbits because they're growing in an area that's pretty securely fenced off. Is it more likely to be birds or mice doing this?

Yes, mice or rats are a likely offender here. Even my radish leaves got eaten this year, I've never seen such in my life. Though someone also reported a hare on site.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ermck1

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 21:16 »
There is one wonderful thing about Wood Pigeons - they taste great! Quite effective pest control as well.

:)

Mike

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26 »

Yes, mice or rats are a likely offender here. Even my radish leaves got eaten this year, I've never seen such in my life. Though someone also reported a hare on site.

I'd gladly sacrifice a plant or two for a Hare. Lovely animals.

emptydraw

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21 »
Blue tits regularly eat our apples, long before we would. Its really annoying, as they eat a little bit of every apple, spoiling them all.... and then the wasps move in!

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 13:13 »
My flatcoated retriever eats every apple that falls from our tree (he's weird). He was at the vets last Autumn for a check-up which included a 'back end' exam... the vet was slightly shocked when her finger came out covered in neon green 'goo'.  :ohmy:
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 14:06 »
our labrador dog has learnt to eat fallen cherries and spit out pips, now it is so funny the grandkids feed them to him just to see him with the stones!!!!!!!!
R

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 15:32 »
Blue tits regularly eat our apples, long before we would. Its really annoying, as they eat a little bit of every apple, spoiling them all.... and then the wasps move in!

Yes, I think it might be a blue tit that I keep catching in the tree. I wonder if it's worth putting a peanut feeder nearby to draw them away. I've got a big peanut feeder but it's at the other end of the garden. No point worrying about attracting them to the tree, because clearly they're already attracted, but if they're going to be there I'd rather they were eating peanuts than my pears :)

xx
The Birds!!

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 18:52
by oldbean
xx
How to keep the birds away!!!!

Started by Ferris on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 13:15
by richyrich7
xx
Has anyone seen birds. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 20:06
by 8doubles
xx
Birds or something else??

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:52
by DavidT

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 28 queries.