How to keep the birds away!!!!

• 19 Replies

Ferris

« on: April 30, 2007, 20:26 »
Have spent a labour intensive weekend in the garden with much achieved... first sowings of carrots and beetroots, first runner beans planted out, 2 rows of peas sown and spuds earthed up nicely.

However after going to all this work I am a little worried that the local birds will find my veg patch a rather well stocked larder soon and want to keep little beaks out.

We have 4 hens in the garden and will soon be adding 2 call ducks into the mix as well... this is the first year we have had the chooks and I dont know whether their presence will act as a deterant or encouragement for the local wild birds (including a fair few wood pigeons) to come and have a nibble

Anyway as I was discussing ways to keep birds off the veg patch with Mrs Ferris we got onto the subject of scarecrows and how you never seem to see them anymore.... is this because they just dont work or have they just gone out of fashion? Being a bit of a softy I am rather keen on a nice scarecrow keeping guard over my peas, and we have 2 young eager scarecrow builders, but is there any point?

If not, what does work? I see lots of people putting old CDs on strings around their veg patch but I cant see that being too effective? Obviously netting is pretty fail safe but costly and a bit of a pain to put on and off....
plus (and again call ma silly) i think it looks a bit ugly.

Anyway all suggestions gratefully received

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: How to keep the birds away!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 20:57 »
Quote from: "Ferris"
Anyway all suggestions gratefully received

I'm not experienced but have just bent some bits of left over wire-netting over two raised beds with cabbages and American Salad.
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 21:10 »
I use old video tape stung out between sticks it hums in the wind, you can soak peas in paraffin before sowing thats supposed to keep mice andpigeons from scoffing your seeds. I used chilli powder and garlic powder sprinkled on my peas this year with some success. Scarecrows just don't think people bother always fancied making one myself perhaps we ought to ask Aunt Sally  :wink: what she thinks.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Freerider

• http://www.snowdreamsoftware.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 21:22 »
Using the "square foot" method, I've built a frame and fitted netting over it. PIC
I need to raise it up every now and then, so its OK if you've got loads of timber! Very easy to lift - and I don't think it looks *that* ugly...
Keeps slugs/snails and birds out - no casualties yet!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 21:32 »
Hey freerider they look great ! I used to grow square foot ways before I got my new lottie, never seems right when I've not got some food growing some were.   :D
Is this your first year at Sq footing ? it's amazing what you can get out of them beds.

Freerider

• http://www.snowdreamsoftware.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hey freerider they look great ! I used to grow square foot ways before I got my new lottie, never seems right when I've not got some food growing some were.   :D
Is this your first year at Sq footing ? it's amazing what you can get out of them beds.

Thanks, I just started in Feb and am really enjoying it! radishes and lettuce taste great! Not sure about the turnips though - seem to have far too many leaves to me - forcing their way out of the frame! Learning by trial and (mostly) error. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 21:49 »
Quote from: "Freerider"
Learning by trial and (mostly) error. :D

Don't we all  :lol:  best way really. Have you got the book ? I just sold mine earlier this year on ebay. I had some beautiful new spuds last year out of mine. Bit extravagant on space tho'.  
Keep up the great work and post some more pics as you progress please

crowndale

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 08:09 »
I just cover everything with net myself, it IS a pain particularly when you need to weed.  I don't mind the inconvenience so much when harvesting crops!  I am really after a fruit cage for the garden beds as that would keep out birds and the cats and allow me to weed/sow/dig without problem.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ClaireMc

Bird scarers
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 10:30 »
I spent a very pleasant couple of hours recently making bows out of strips of carrier bag and attaching them to miles of twine.  Hey presto, home-made bunting strung over the onion shoots and no wood pigeon damage at all.  I've just moved them onto my pea cages just in case.  

They even look nice as I put the odd shiny one in and varied the colours.  I don't know if the birds noticed that, though.

Now if I could just find out what scares mice ...

Claire

Annie

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 10:44 »
I put cds up,I don`t think it deters the birds but I rather like the way the light flashes off them in the sun.I know what you mean about the look of netting though.Once the plants come through birds tend to leave the alone and go for the slugs and snails.Pigeons are another matter....

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 12:05 »
i use netting but have also used the cd's over my cauliflowers. i have strung some string over the top then hung the cd's from it and so far so good. i read some where that the pigeons don't like the flashing.

diggerjoe

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 13:08 »
I have gone down the netting cage route as well. I tied mine together with electric ties and used a couple of ties as loops on the top so I can get hold of them to lift them - bit like those old fashioned net covers for cakes but bigger well they would be! Just sowed some carrot and beets myself, think I've overdone the beans I've loads come through in pots. Anyone else tried Seeds from Italy the beans from them grew almost overnight! Can't wait for a bit green that's not couch grass on the plot to spur me on.

celtbhoy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 15:09 »
old cds worked for me.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 15:16 »
I tie strips of carrier bags to canes too, mind you, it didn't stop the pigeons eating my purple sprouting last year, but kept most everything else off

hermon

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 17:31 »
my chooks do scare away the wood pigoens but also eat the veg if not covered! i am using fleece on my plot.

xx
Has anyone seen birds. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 20:06
by 8doubles
xx
Birds or something else??

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:52
by DavidT
xx
The Birds!!

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 18:52
by oldbean
xx
It was birds all along

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 15:32
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 28 queries.