talk to me about...electric fencing

• 2 Replies

boosmummy

talk to me about...electric fencing
« on: June 18, 2011, 19:19 »
thank you all for making feel so welcome...if youve read me previous posts youll know at the moment im trying to gather as much info as i possibly can before i get the chooks etc...

now my question is about electric fencing and how to go about rigging it around my pen.  i know this sounds like a crazy question - but its coming from a novice - do you put the fencing around or do you put the current on the existing pen and switch it on when the chickens are safe in their coop at night? i obviously dont want to shock my chickens if they get out but i dont want to risk rats or foxes digging underneath the fencing to get into the chicken, ideally too dare i say it i dont want to cause any harm to the foxes just shock them into not coming back  :unsure:

xx

bantam novice

Re: talk to me about...electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 19:45 »
I have my run area surrounded by an electric net fence powered by a car battery.  You just need to recharge the battery when it gets low.  I have two batteries so that there is always a fully charged one available.  I keep this on all the time as foxes and other predators can appear at any time.  So far they have learned to steer clear.  You can move the stakes and surround a fresh piece of ground for the hens very easily.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

daisy1990

Re: talk to me about...electric fencing
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 19:53 »
we have net fencing too- ideal for hens and we also have rabbits in with the hens who free range too.  Works very well and gives you peace of mind.  We bought extra corner posts and use tent pegs to peg down the bottom of the fence- dont forget you cant let the grass grow too long under the net or it will short, so moving it around (which also lets the grass rest as chickens do make a mess) is a good idea
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
A run Vs electric fencing

Started by vicky_b on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
electric fencing

Started by chickerun on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 20:55
by Chookster
xx
electric fencing

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 07:58
by Sassy
xx
Electric Fencing

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 09:17
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 28 queries.