Not laying plus one broody hen

• 2 Replies

Maybelle

• 4 Hens, Dog, Cat, Tortoise, Fishies, 2 Teenagers!
    • www.pecostudios.com
Not laying plus one broody hen
« on: June 10, 2011, 17:13 »
Hi.  Can anybody give some advice please?  I have had three hens for two years now, all laying beautifully until a couple of weeks ago.  Now I may get one a day if I'm lucky.  On top of this, one hen (I presume the one laying) insists on sitting on it all day - or until we kick her off it.  They all appear very healthy, are fed on pellets with mixed grit and corn as a treat (plus kitchen scraps).  They are housed in an Eglu and have an extra homemade large run.  Is it just their age or could there be a more sinister problem?  Many thanks in advance. xx

bantam novice

Re: Not laying plus one broody hen
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 21:46 »
Hello Maybelle,

It sounds as if your broody hen could be putting the others of laying.  You will have to decide whether you want to stop her being broody or let her sit on fertile eggs and hatch them.

If you want to let her sit and hatch out fertile eggs then she will need a separate broody coop where she can sit and bring up her chicks.  You will also need to make sure she gets off her nest twice a day to eat, drink and pooh.  Some broodys can starve themselves to death.  Anothe thing you will have to consider is what to do with the cockerels that hatch out (usually about half the eggs).

If you want her to stop being broody there are several things you can try.  If you type anti-broody measures into the search box in the top right-hand corner you should find plenty of info.

Good Luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Maybelle

• 4 Hens, Dog, Cat, Tortoise, Fishies, 2 Teenagers!
    • www.pecostudios.com
Re: Not laying plus one broody hen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 14:26 »
thanks so much for coming back to me.  We don't have a cockerell, it's just egg for eating I'm afraid.  She is being a real nightmare.  We have to physically force her off the nextbox cus she won't let the other two anywhere near it.  This happens umpteen times a day, so hard to manage when we are all out at work/school.

xx
Broody but not laying !!!

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 21:05
by ck2day
xx
Broody and laying??

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 19:37
by Jane-M
xx
Broody hybrid not laying!!

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 10:51
by ANHBUC
xx
if hens not laying can they be broody >>>

Started by chickchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:33
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 36 queries.