Strange beak

• 2 Replies

Raven81

Strange beak
« on: June 04, 2011, 17:52 »
Having managed to get close to my ladies I have noticed one of them has an odd shaped beak, the top part seems about half a centimetre shorter than the bottom part. She seems to be eating and drinking OK and is not at the bottom of the pecking order, so I assume it isn't bothering her, but I haven't noticed it before, could it have somehow happened since I have had her, or be something she was born with that I haven't noticed having only had them 2 weeks and having only just started getting that close to them.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

PaulineM

Re: Strange beak
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 18:20 »
Hi
She was probably de-beaked by the breeder, one of mine had the same problem which I didn't notice for a while. If you like you could rub the lower beak with some sandpaper if it has over grown, the upper beak over time may regrow. My hen's has grown some in the 10 months since we got her although it still hasn't over taken the lower one.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

compostqueen

Re: Strange beak
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 23:35 »
There are quite a few threads on here about deformed beaks, so I'd read them as there is some good advice there

My hen had a wonky beak, which was ok for nearly 3 years then suddenly mutated and grew quickly into something quite odd. I took her to the vet and I'm glad I did. They were able to deal with it by firstly clipping it and then they smooth the whole beak (not sure what with as they took her away - so it was probably a Dremel or some such thing) When she came back it had been buffed and polished. The vet said it had to be completely smooth so as not to irritate her mouth

xx
strange beak?

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 21:29
by orchardlady
exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull
xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws
xx
Beak help

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:20
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 30 queries.