struggling with tomato seedlings

• 3 Replies

annied

struggling with tomato seedlings
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:20 »
Hello everyone
this year as always we have attempted to grow our toms from seed, what a disaster. The first lot struggled to get going then when they where about an inch tall started to wilt and went over completely. Some brave ones struggled on and they have now succumbed  :(. So we started again with John innes seed compost and again they have struggled to get going and seemed to be doing ok, but now some of them have white patches on them. Its not mould almost a bleaching effect and I'm wondering if its down to the windy weather? as we have been putting the seedlings out in the sunshine during the day and taking thenm in at night. Does anyone have any thoughts - it would be disasterous to lose another batch of toms now

Cheers , off to water the allotment
Anne

gillian62

Re: struggling with tomato seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:26 »
It may be best keeping the young plants under cover and warmth for a bit until they are a bit more robust.  The wind and the cold weather are too much for many small plants.

I have mine in an unheated greenhouse, but a windowsill in the house would work just as well until they get bigger.

Also don't overwater, and try not to splash water on the leaves as it can leave patchy marks on them.

annied

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 20:24 »
Cheers thanks for that. It looks like I have the same problem as the guy who posted today. The pictures he included look the same as my toms
Anne

Old Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 20:34 »
Don`t keep then too wet. When they`re young it`s too easy to overwater and then the stems seem to wither and the whole thing goes over. I used to be a professional tom drowner. Got a bit better as the years have gone by. :)
I can remember when it were all fields round `ere.

question
Tomato seedlings struggling

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 09:16
by Oliver
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:04
by strangerachael
question
Where to keep tomato seedlings

Started by mexi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:22
by mexi
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 13:44
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 1.119 seconds with 36 queries.