Who has got their squash and courgettes in the open?

• 90 Replies

Robster

I have 4 squash plants out in the warmest place I have with plastic cloche protection if need be.  The remainder to go out this weekend forecast for night time 7 degrees (East Anglia).  Has anyone else got there stuff out.  Am I risking it?

Dotty

Re: Who has got their squash and courgettes in the open?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 14:52 »
Hi
I am a little south of you in Essex. I had my squash on the bathroom window sill. it was getting so big i decided to just shove it in an old flower bed (i'm a novice can you tell?  :) )
It has no protection and within a week it has now got three flower buds on and grown remarkably.
Fingers crossed it keeps going
Love me, love my veggies

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 14:54 »
I've just lifted the cloches off my courgettes as they are flowering. My pumpkins have been outside for about a month now.

It's a bit of a gamble I suppose but the forcast is mild and wet for my area over the next week so should be ok. I am keeping a close eye on things tho  :unsure:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 14:56 »
Not till end of May/beginning of June here...  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 14:57 »
I have 4 squash plants out in the warmest place I have with plastic cloche protection if need be.  The remainder to go out this weekend forecast for night time 7 degrees (East Anglia).  Has anyone else got there stuff out.  Am I risking it?

Normally, no; after last year's late frosts; who knows?  :unsure:

Not sure if you are suggesting that you have no protection available for the remainder of your squashes; if that is the case I'd still recommend hedging your bets by holding them back for a week or so.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 15:03 »
Last Friday I put 6 BNS and 4 Crown Prince onto the plot and since then we have had strong winds, Hail and driving rain.

Consequently 7 out of the 10 are now dead and 2 of the other 3 look like they will give up the ghost in the next day or so.

I have had to resow and next year I won't sow until the 2nd week in May and put on the plot in the last week of May.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 15:05 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

bigben

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 15:07 »
I am planning on growing a lot of squash and pumkins so have sown loads. Last year I grew 20, this year I want to grow 30 as I have been given a bit of extra ground on a friends allotment he wants covered to comply with the 75% cultivation rule.

So I have been putting them out as they get big enough. Once they have a few real leaves I have put them out. I am hoping that this weekend will be the last risk of frost but still have around 20 in the greenhouse. If there is a frost it will be a pain to try to cover them all.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 15:10 »
Mine were sown last weds and have just shown so it will be a while before they go out. :)

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 15:15 »
I've been putting my courgette out to harden off and have to bring it back in again as the leaves go all wilty, and that is in bright sunshine, although it has been very windy.  Will hang on to it for a bit yet

Robster

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 15:25 »
JayG I have  no cloche protection for the remainder, but I have cold frame space enough .  They are all in adequate sized pots so not pushing it there.  On balance from the posts I'll give it another little while I think.  Just eager.  Thanks everyone

Debz

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 15:41 »
With temperatures forecast to dip to 1 degree at night here over the next ten days, I don't think I want to risk putting anything out even though it's all getting a bit big.

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 15:48 »
I was thinking about it... but with the weekend forecast of frost, hailstorm in our area I decided against it. cant lose the well grown ones now :)
althouth I have my toms outside already which I will have to protect somehow.... (or is that it of toms????)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 15:50 »
I was far too early sowing pumpkins in the greenhouse (testing saved seed before placing my orders) and moved out those that were preventing the door from closing a couple of weeks ago.  The three plants moved outside caught the frost last week and lost top growth - although surpsingly it looks like all three are starting to regrow from shoots near the base of the stem.. I may leave these out as an experiment.

The remainder willl stay in the greenhouse until the end of the month.  With the doors left open on mild nights.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 16:52 »
Put my squash in at the weekend but only just started my courgettes. 

crh75

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 16:55 »
All my cucurbits were sown in pots in a Growhouse on the 2nd May.  They are germinating nicely.

xx
Courgettes/squash

Started by Diggin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 07:49
by Kirpi
xx
Courgettes/Squash

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:22
by MoreWhisky
xx
courgettes and squash

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:23
by fatbelly
xx
Butternut Squash - are they the same as courgettes

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 06:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 38 queries.