Who has got their squash and courgettes in the open?

• 90 Replies

Endymion

• Experienced Member
Re: Who has got their squash and courgettes in the open?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 17:18 »
We're playing safe, because it still isn't reliably above 10C at ground level here at night, so ours are staying put in the cold frame until later in the month or even early June.

Our enthusiasm stupidity last year led to messed up tomatoes because of the ground frosts in May.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 10:53 »
Mine have only just gone in the mini-greenhouse!

pete1977

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 15:15 »
east anglia last frost date passed at the end of april

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather1.asp

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 15:20 »
It got down to 3.5 centigrade here last night, luckily no frost though.  I have my beans and courgettes out and am a little nervous about the next couple of nights.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 15:23 »

it might say that.....but it's not true this year (mine is supposed to be the end of April as well)  :ohmy:
There is still a frost forecast for tonight and tomorrow here.
And for squash and pumpkins it isn't just frost that upsets them, they really don't like temperatures under 10C :ohmy:

Chrysalis

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 18:53 »
Mine are out and flowering madly.  Will keep an eye on the forecast and fleece up if necessary.  As they're all in deep raised beds it's easy to protect them....famous last words!

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 18:59 »

It's a bit of a gamble I suppose but the forecast is mild and wet for my area over the next week so should be ok.

Aelf, where abouts in Merseyside are you? I'm in Formby, Merseyside and according to the metcheck website there is a slight risk of frost Sunday night, keep your eyes on the weather forecast

pete1977

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 22:19 »

it might say that.....but it's not true this year (mine is supposed to be the end of April as well)  :ohmy:
There is still a frost forecast for tonight and tomorrow here.
And for squash and pumpkins it isn't just frost that upsets them, they really don't like temperatures under 10C :ohmy:

think it gives my frost dates as a month later which is accurate for me over the past five years.  However, it clearly doesn't take in to account freak frosts as most of the country had a late frost last year.  IMO I still think they will be OK even though there are some north easterlies forcast the temp is not dropping becuase of the cloud cover so I think if you get through this week then we are middle of may(ish) surely night time teps are around 10 deg by then (in the south east at least) - I'm not at all jelous that you'll be getting them in at least a fortnight before me  :tongue2:

TheSpartacat

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 22:54 »
I'm in London and night time lows are around 7 to 9 degrees this week and looks set to drop to 5 at the weekend.
Mine are staying put under the greenhouse cloche thingamy until last week of May at the very earliest... weather that week permitting! Although if the lack of night time cloud cover keeps the temps this low at night, they can stay put til June! :-)
Frosts will kill them, but under 10 degrees will set them back more than satisfying my lack of patience is worth (and thats saying something as I am v impatient) lol
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 22:57 by TheSpartacat »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 08:18 »
Just to update....temp dropped to 5C here last night :( with the same forecast for tonight!

Springlands

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35 »
Do not have a temperature gauge - but must have been cold here last night - the windows were steamed up this morning.  :ohmy: So think I will wait a couple of days before planting the courgettes and squash outside.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 14:21 »
Planted my cougettes,BNS,turks turbans,pumpkin and cucumbers last night....all seedlings just getting their true leaves. They were hardened off in the garden for a week beforehand.
Despite that it is a bit early so I came up with a cheap way of protecting them. I'm an electrician and a lot of lights etc we install come in bubble wrap bags,I always save them for another reason....but came up with the idea of cutting the bottom of the bag off,so you end up with a cylinder of bubble wrap. This I placed over the plant and then pushed 3 or 4 sticks into the ground around the inside of the cylinder,stretching it open and securing it in place...worked really well and cost nothing....any reasonably strong polythene bag would work.....another variation on the plastic water bottle theme I guess :)

Zippy

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 23:27 »
I will be sowing all my squashes, pumpkins and corgettes this weekend (and sweetcorn). they will go in my mini glasshouse when germinated and hardened off before going to the allotment first week of June hopefully - and that's in Cornwall!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 01:35 »
My courgettes have been out since the end of April, and my squash went out last weekend, but I do live in one of the warmer parts of the country. Kind of swings and roundabouts really on weather forecasts. Is it better to be guided by what happened last year, or is it better to be guided by prevailing weather conditions this year?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 05:16 »
I'd go on last year's conditions. Prevailing weather conditions can suddenly change, remember the sudden frosts in June last year? At least that way you're erring on the safe side.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Courgettes/squash

Started by Diggin on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 07:49
by Kirpi
xx
Courgettes/Squash

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:22
by MoreWhisky
xx
courgettes and squash

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 11:23
by fatbelly
xx
Butternut Squash - are they the same as courgettes

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 06:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 38 queries.