Bay Tree

• 9 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Bay Tree
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:08 »
I bought a bay tree recently for my mother and whilst watering yesterday actually read the leaftlet attached!  I got right down to the bottom and noticed that it said "Decoration only".  I have been putting it in cooking for the last couple of months!  Obviously it isn't poisonous as we're all still here but presumably it doesn't add any flavour.  I am very confused as I assumed all bay trees were the stuff of Jamie Oliver type food - not that my cooking in anyway resembles his, with or without bay leaves.

Could somebody please advise.  thanks

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Bay Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:11 »
When you crush a leaf does it smell like bay?  A photo might help too.
Cheese makes everything better.

Composto

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:29 »
If it gives the Latin name on the label, then the one that you want for kitchen use is Laurus Nobilis.

And I'll bet your food is every bit as good as Jamie's!

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 13:55 »
I'm so glad you raised this question as I have 2 similar queries and hope you wont mind if I join onto your thread? I do know that there are bay trees which are just ornamental but I have no idea how you tell them apart.

I discovered what I took to be a bay shrub growing in amongst other shrubs and bushes on my garden boundary. It smells and looks just like the bay leaves I buy but I am a bit worried about using it in case it isn't edible. How can you be sure ....any clues? I think it must be a bay as I know there were several very old bay bushes growing around the front of the house when we moved in over 20 years ago as a friend commented on how lucky we were to have them. Sadly they had to be dug up when renovations were done. If it is a bay tree/bush then do you use the leaves fresh or do they have to be dried.

My other query is that I purchased a lemon tree in Aldi's a few months ago which had 3 ripe lemons growing on it. It has produced a whole load of new ones since (most have dropped off) but there are still about 6 growing bigger every day. We keep it by our french windows in direct sunlight and the scent of the blossom is glorious. HOWEVER.... like Sandygreen my lemon tree has a label attached which says "For decoration only, not for consumption"  :ohmy: we had already used the 3 original ones in drinks etc and dont appear to have suffered any damage but why would it not be for consumption?  It has a plant passport number and was produced in Italy so I was wondering how I might find out if it is OK to eat.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 14:06 »
Crush a leaf in your fingers and smell it.  If it smells like bay then that's what it is.  the identical ornamental plant has no smell.  I always use mine fresh, never dried.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 14:16 »
re: lemon trees. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the 'for decoration only' label is because they have been sprayed with while in the nursery.

Given a while for any systemic pestcide/fungicide to leave the plant it should be fine to eat any new fruit :)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 14:18 »
Crush a leaf in your fingers and smell it.  If it smells like bay then that's what it is.  the identical ornamental plant has no smell.  I always use mine fresh, never dried.

Brill - thanks. Thats one little problem solved. I must post some pics of my (your) brilliant veggie domes. I'm so pleased with them I keep going down and looking at them  ::)

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 14:21 »
re: lemon trees. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the 'for decoration only' label is because they have been sprayed with while in the nursery.

Given a while for any systemic pestcide/fungicide to leave the plant it should be fine to eat any new fruit :)

Oopsy..............oh well it's done now. Didn't think of that but a very good point. Luckily it was hubby who used them mostly in his soft drinks (he has cast iron constitution) .
Pity we have given up the booze as the gin might have counter balanced the pesticides  :ohmy:

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 15:10 »
It is Laurus Nobilis and having just crushed a leaf and smelled it straight away, I think it is the edible variety.  thanks for all the comments, I'm just off to knock up a three course meal in 30 minutes!

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 16:38 »
It is Laurus Nobilis and having just crushed a leaf and smelled it straight away, I think it is the edible variety.  thanks for all the comments, I'm just off to knock up a three course meal in 30 minutes!

Ha ha - good luck with the 30 mins!
so pleased it is the edible type, I love bay  :)

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Bay tree

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 12:21
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Fig Tree

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 17:53
by Contadino

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 39 queries.