Bay tree

• 6 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Bay tree
« on: March 19, 2013, 18:23 »
I put my bay tree in a protected alleyway at the end of the last year - it has reasonably good natural light through perspex.  I noticed the other day that it was not looking very happy so gave it a good soaking.  It has perked up but somehow still not brilliant.  Normally by now I would be putting it outside but with all the frost and possible snow still around am loathe to do this.

What should I do - brave it (well the bay tree will be braving it, I will be tucked up cosy inside) or leave it in the alleyway for a bit longer? I'm in Essex so  not as bad weatherwise as Scotland!

Springlands

Re: Bay tree
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 19:00 »
My bay tree stays out all winter and has done for the 5 years that I have had and it positively thrives - and where I live can be very cold and windy.

I think part of the problem with your tree is that although it is getting light it is not natural light or it could just have needed watering because it was so protected .

Because it has been inside all winter I would keep it in until this bad spell has passed and then get it out into a sheltered spot.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 19:59 »
Mine to has been out all winter and they are only seedlings in 3 ins pots  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23 »
I hope mine realises how lucky it is!  Thanks for your advice and maybe some tough love next winter but, as you say, keep it in until this next spell, which hopefully will be the last, and then chuck it outside.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57 »
Many bay trees thrive planted in the ground but they do not like wet feet and every 15 years or so the frost gets them.

They usually thrive better in a pot but really need protection. The main danger is getting the pot frozen through.

If your tree is looking pale feed it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28 »
My bay tree is 12 years old and is starting to look at little odd because its trunk is about 4" across but I keep it to only about 5' high and about 3' across.

It's in the ground which is well-drained - like most herbs bay doesn't like having wet feet for long periods of time, although obviously it won't appreciate being bone dry either, even in winter when it needs less water.

The only thing which sometimes seems to temporarily damage some of the leaves is cold winds, in my case easterlies because it's sheltered from northerlies. I believe that younger plants are a bit less hardy - in pots I'd mulch and probably try to insulate the pots from the worst of the frosts.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:21 »

I should inspect the leaves carefully for beasties!

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Bay Tree

Started by Johnny Norfolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 21:48
by gobs
clip
What's this tree?

Started by peter and jean on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2017, 15:38
by peter and jean

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.