Newbie with sick hen :-(

• 9 Replies

RacingCar

Newbie with sick hen :-(
« on: May 03, 2011, 22:26 »
Hello, 14 months ago we got 3 ex-bat hens - Racing Car, Pirate and Gertie A-hen.
Been very entertaining, and were great layers until the autumn. Then we went down to 1-2 eggs a day, decreasing to 1 over winter, and it didn't pick up again.

Last week, Racing Car (RC) went listless, not coming out of house, not going in at night, runny poos, bottom looking raggedy (hard to explain, like the stick bit of feathers sticking out all round that area), wattle pale, eyes a bit glazed, lolling on to her side and surrounded by flies. By Thursday, RC was quite poorly, and I took her to vet, who suspected cocci and took a poo sample (she'd kindly done one in the waiting room). Sample came back clear, no cocci. We were away for the weekend, and our poor hensitter had the job of nursing her, to no avail, as she died Sunday morning. :-(

Now, Pirate is seeming a little listless, has also had a raggedy bottom at the same time as RC did, and as I closed them up this evening, I saw blooming-looking poo below the perch in their house.

Will call the vet again tomorrow. But it sounds like cocci, doesn't it? Don't want to lose one after the other. Would it hurt to treat for cocci anyway? Anything else it could be? They've not had any trouble breathing or anything.

:-(

Thanks, folks,
have named myself in Racing Car's honour - she really was the character of the bunch
(and yes, my then-3-year-old named her and Pirate).

compostqueen

Re: Newbie with sick hen :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 23:55 »
No I don't think it would hurt to treat anyway and you can use Coxoid. There is quite a big of info on this on the forum, either hen house or chicken chat, if you do a search the relevant threads will come up.  I've recently given mine this medicine when one of them left a blooming dropping  :(

RacingCar

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 00:20 »
Thank you, you're right, once I search on coxoid have come up with lots of previous threads.
Is it likely though that vet's analysis of poo came up clear if it is actually cocci though?
Really does seem to fit with Racing Car's demise.
Coxoid tomorrow from vet's hopefully.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47 »
Cocci may be the problem but I would suspect something else.  Egg yolk peritonitis?  I hope someone more experienced will see your post and be able to help.

What other tests did the vet do on Racing Car?  Did she take her temperature, feel around her abdomen for swelling, check her vent?

RacingCar

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:34 »
Hi, thank you.

I don't think the vet checked her temperature, but did check her vent, not egg-bound.

I've had a closer look at Pirate's  bum area, and it's just white poo sticking around it, because she's sitting so much I think. Definitely lethargic - reluctant to get up this morning, and only did so when I moved the food round to where she could see it, and then nearly fell down the ramp to get out. She's laying down now, though she walks about if I go out to her . No flies round her yet.

Have got some Baycox from the vet, and they have it now (she is thirsty - that's a cocci symptom too, isn't it?). She's a much bigger bird than Racing Car was, so I wonder if she'll be able to fight it off better? Day 6 is when they're either dead or improving, it says on tinterweb, which is about right for Racy - we first noticed her lethargy about Tuesday, died Sunday.

We've also been Flubenvetting since Friday.

Vet didn't mention eggs - am I right in thinking we shouldn't consume? Will google baycox now. Pirate's not laying, but Gertie is.

We also jetwashed the house on Thursday - should we do this again? Or just clean out?

Thanks, folks.

RacingCar

Re: Newbie with sick hen :-( - UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:37 »
Hi all,
Well, Pirate went downhill too, and took her to vet this morning for euthanasia as she was so far gone. This vet felt a lot of fluid and lumps in her abdomen, and her temperature was lower than the electronic thermometer could measure. For her own interest, she's going to do a post mortem (I was keen anyway, as I want to know what it is before getting more birds - we have one left, who seems very perky!). She has a suspicion it could be avian TB :-( She's going to call me tonight with the results, and to discuss what to do next, re. cleaning and making it safe for the one left and future birds. As my birds free range over our quite large garden, cleaning up is not going to be easy. But it may not be that, we'll see.

Cheers,
RC

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:57 »
so sorry, keep us informed as to the outcome of the post mortem  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

RacingCar

Re: Newbie with sick hen :-( - further UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04 »
hello,
I thought I'd updated on this a while ago - has post disappeared?
Vet came back saying it was egg yolk peritonitis - massive infection and lots of eggs.
Looks like they probably both had this, and I'd now recognise the duck waddle they had in their last days. From what I gather, even with antibiotics, there isn't a great recovery rate. I wonder if ex-bats are more prone to this, as prolific layers?

So, seeing as it wasn't something catching, and Gertie Ahen was lonely, we now have 2 dinky millefleur pekin bantams as well. She's getting them in order and teaching them how to be cheeky and where the cat food is kept....

Let the husband play at naming them this time, so they are Sikorsky and Chinook.

Thanks all.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 13:10 »
Hello RacingCar,
Glad to hear about your new additions  :)  Now how about some pics?  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 14:16 »
Having just picked on the thread I am sorry to here of the problems you have had, I am afraid the old ex-bats are prone to a lot of problems and you can spend a lot of time and money at the vets!
One thing which may help with the others which I have been doing for the last few months with great success, my ex-bats are prone to the odd stomach upset, I use 10ml Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 litre of water every day, now here is the best tip, I make a porridge for them and they have twice a week and since doing this they have been fit and healthy with no dodgy dropping or tummy upsets.
Handfull of layers pellets, I then mix a teaspoon of dried oregano, 1 garlick clove crushed, I also add some carrot, finely diced and cooked, mix this with some hot water until it goes a bit porridgey looking.
They love it and as mentioned solved a few problems that was recurring.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
sick little pekin please help newbie on here.

Started by nettynoodles1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 14:51
by Aunt Sally
question
sick hen

Started by ychook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 04:15
by Lindeggs
xx
Sick Hen??

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 12:42
by Wildeone
xx
Sick hen! Help

Started by Brenda Babes on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 21:30
by darren64

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 37 queries.