Docile brown with bantams?

• 2 Replies

MrsTruper

Docile brown with bantams?
« on: May 31, 2011, 18:39 »
I will shortly be left with just one docile 'gingernut ranger' hen (Rhode Island Red/Light Sussex) one year old with a trimmed beak (managed to rehome the terrible bully she shared her coop with).  I would like to get a couple of bantams to keep with her.  

I understand that some people do keep bantams with larger birds and some do not recommend it.   However, I was hoping that in my circumstances it would be ok because of my existing hen's good nature and her trimmed beak?

Obviously I will take introductions very slowly.  Any advice would be appreciated.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Docile brown with bantams?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 18:42 »
there is no way of telling - even the most motherly sweetest of natured bird can turn into a tyrant when they are presented with new friends  :(.
I do have bantams running with large fowl and have no problems whatsoever but there are lots of hiding places for them to escape from each other  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

asd1

• Experienced Member
Re: Docile brown with bantams?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 19:23 »
I personally feel that so long as you have lost of things for them to do and places to eat and drink there should be no problems. When I first put bantams in with my bully hens they did pick on them but once I had the right balance of feeders and drinkers and things to do they were and still are fine

xx
Bantams

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 13:07
by wildeone
xx
How old are my Bantams?

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 18:51
by Budboy
xx
bantams

Started by cammi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 06:47
by Casey76
xx
Help with ex bat and bantams

Started by scampy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:22
by scampy

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 37 queries.