Sick Hen??

• 24 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sick Hen??
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:46 »
Morning,

For the last 2 days one of my hens has been a bit lethargic and appears to be off her food. Her crop appears to be normal, she is bocking as normal, flapping as normal... but she does look bigger than normal, after picking her up it is just her feathers that are "fluffed" up more

Really not sure what to do, typical as we go away on sunday and next door are looking after them.. help?

Cheers
SG

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sick Hen??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17 »
Don't they always get sick at the wrong moment  :(

Has she stopped laying eggs ? If she has and as you say she feels bigger than usual then I'm guessing that you mean she has a swollen belly. (a bit fat around the bum).  If you feel her around there is there a lump like a stuck egg ?  In not does it feels a bit like a balloon ?  If so then she could have egg peritonitis.  

Both of these conditions may need a vet's help either to remove the egg or to treat the peritonitis with antibiotics.  You do have another option too  :cry:

Do let us know how she goes  :!:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sick Hen??
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 13:51 »
Yeah I think she is laying... thats the funny thing, she looks "normal" but just not with it. i.e. stayed on her perch for 5 mins when I let them out this morning

but I will trying the finger up the bum when I get home.. shame it will be dark and will have to wake her up :(

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Sick Hen??
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 14:07 »
but I will trying the finger up the bum when I get home.. shame it will be dark and will have to wake her up :([/quote]

Not sure you could do THAT without waking her - dark or not :shock:

Good luck ....... and let us know how it goes

Wildeone

Sick Hen??
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 16:47 »
:shock: i'm afraid that she is well within her right to peck you for waking her up like that!!! :shock:

Are there NO gentlemen left in this world  :?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Foxy

Sick Hen??
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 16:55 »
this may be a long shot - but does she sound different?? Has she lost any feathers from her breast? The reason I am asking is that sometimes hens can act strangely before going broody, and fluffing up feathers hanging around the hen house may be symptoms. Just a thought particulary with this lovely weather! :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Sick Hen??
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 17:05 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Yeah I think she is laying... thats the funny thing, she looks "normal" but just not with it. i.e. stayed on her perch for 5 mins when I let them out this morning

but I will trying the finger up the bum when I get home.. shame it will be dark and will have to wake her up :(

try making the torch light red, helps keep them calmer.  tho i am on the chooks side. no girlie likes to be woken up by a strange blokes finger up her bum, especially without asking first :roll:

Wildeone

Sick Hen??
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 17:15 »
Quote from: "babe"

try making the torch light red, helps keep them calmer.  tho i am on the chooks side. no girlie likes to be woken up by a strange blokes finger up her bum, especially without asking first :roll:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Sick Hen??
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 17:42 »
Quote from: "Wildeone"
Quote from: "babe"

no girlie likes to be woken up by a strange blokes finger up her bum, especially without asking first :roll:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And if it's a bloke that's not strange ..... :shock: ?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sick Hen??
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 18:38 »
well I got home early but still dark and thought it best to wake her up tomorrow with me poking around....

you all have sick minds!!!!

Wildeone

Sick Hen??
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 18:40 »
well I got home early but still dark and thought it best to wake her up tomorrow with me poking around....

you all have sick minds!!!!
:oops:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sick Hen??
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 08:00 »
well I think she has been laying, as there were 3 eggs this morning.. Will double check as I expect to be home before dark tonight. She came out of the coop witht he other 2 girls this morning and pecked at some pellets, so that is a big improvement so far.. not getting my hops up yet.

you never know she could be broody, but she is only 9 months old so migh tbe too young for that???

Foxy

Sick Hen??
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 15:43 »
I have had a hen go broody at 7months! :? I think she had laid a total of 2 eggs beforehand the little madam! :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Sick Hen??
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 16:52 »
Why don't you try Aunt Sally's stable ideas for sick chooks?

Mash a few pellets up in bio youghurt or some apple cider vinegar in the water?  May just get rid of any tummy upset she may have??

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sick Hen??
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 08:54 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Why don't you try Aunt Sally's stable ideas for sick chooks?

Mash a few pellets up in bio youghurt or some apple cider vinegar in the water?  May just get rid of any tummy upset she may have??

she isn't touching the yoghurt... will have to get some ACV later on.
She is looking rather unhappy, just sitting in one place with her feathers fluffed up, and hardly eating... damn damn, going away at 6am tomorrow

xx
Sick Hen

Started by R_A_W on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:35
by grinling
xx
hen still sick

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 18:29
by henamoured
xx
sick hen

Started by peterrjay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 14:48
by Vember
question
Sick Hen

Started by Mel2884 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 17:08
by jhub

Page created in 0.803 seconds with 36 queries.