frost 2011

• 106 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Re: Air frost........
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 15:38 »
Frost here in Tonbridge last night. Car windscreen quite white so fairly cold. I hope my fellow plot holders covered their spuds as there are a lot through with this warm weather...  :ohmy:

Oh dear, only the site manager got his fleece out. Nearly all of 15 plots with pots, one had cues outdoors too, have had them frosted .....  :( 

Not a good sight down there today with some of the plot holders very upset......

fatcat1955

Re: frost 2011
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 17:45 »
Frost here last night, popped down to water and neighbour was covering her spuds and warned me to do the same . Everyone else's were black this morning.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Air frost........
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 17:51 »
Frost here in Tonbridge last night. Car windscreen quite white so fairly cold. I hope my fellow plot holders covered their spuds as there are a lot through with this warm weather...  :ohmy:

Oh dear, only the site manager got his fleece out. Nearly all of 15 plots with pots, one had cues outdoors too, have had them frosted .....  :( 

Not a good sight down there today with some of the plot holders very upset......

don't people look at the weather forecasts then :unsure:  you really must at this time of year :ohmy:

finty22

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 18:20 »
hi all ...just wondering ....
some of my spuds that have been earthed up still got hit by the frost on the bits sticking out of the tops of the heaps .... as we may get hit with another cold night should I earth them up some more ?? or is it a case of horse and bolted??
Mel

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 19:24 »
Rhysdad/mumofstig re frost in West Kent, it must have been quite a bad frost as I covered my spuds with fleece and my corn with a closh and both are completely wilted. I can't earth up my potatoes any more, just hoping the pots are ok as I don't think I can replace those as they are first earlies, might end up finding a space for some maincrops at this rate. Have to say am a bit gutted as I lost all my french beans too (they were also covered), so will have to get down the plot tonight, resow beans and try to find something else to tuck up those limp spuds in! It's all part and parcel though

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 19:25 »
Forgot to say, strangely, all three courgette plants survived!

Salmo

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 19:33 »
"don't people look at the weather forecasts then   you really must at this time of year"

Weather forecast said risk of ground frost in rural areas. What we got was a sharp air frost as evidenced by the blackened leaves of the walnut tree up the road.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 19:47 »
any kind of frost means that it is cold enough to do damage to anything tender  :(

The trouble this year is that the spuds have grown so quickly because of the daytime heat, that they're too tall to earth up for protection.

Perhaps we all have to plant spuds later, whatever the spring sunshine is telling us, if we are going to keep getting these hard late frosts :unsure:
Certainly I have learnt the hard way about toms, courgettes & beans etc over the last couple of years :(

lets hope the spuds grow on, like they did last year, to give a decent yield

grendel

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 20:17 »
I too was caught out by the frosts last night, as were most of the plot holders in my allotments, just the pots affected though, all the seedlings in the garden survived as did t he tomatoes I planted out a couple of days ago. just the tips blackened as I had earthed up until very little was showing - fingers crossed they will have some unfrosted leaves to grow up further.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

spudulike

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 20:34 »
Frost Southampton last night, just checked my spuds  very little damage as covered them with straw last evening. Site agent advised that some plotholders have lost entire rows with frosted spud tops.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 21:05 »
Just got back from plot , I was the only one of two to fleece last night on our site, rows and rows of dead potato foliage everwhere else, as i had a walk round to look. Lots of dead summer crops around to.

I dont want to sound smug but i did think to myself over the last few weeks everybody seems in a big rush this yr. Even last night ppl didnt take my advice on covering up.

Anyway i cant be smug as i forgot to cover my Leveller Gooseberry bush, must have lost a quarter, am gutted  :(
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 21:21 »
Looks like our site was lucky, it was very cold, just didn't freeze  :happy:.

Sad to read of so many losses tho'  :ohmy:

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
Re: Frost Watch 2011
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 21:26 »
ive just been down to my lotty we had a minus 4 here with no warning i had signed up to frost watch etc and i was checking all the forcasts
since my spuds were earthed up to a height of nearly 2 feet with still another 4-5 inches of growth showing the frost had decimated all 21 rows there was no more earth to use
ive never felt so gutted  the reason that they had such fantastic growth was for the manure that i had put on last september

i really dont know if im going to carry on after this  all that work over 9 months probably gone to waste
the frost was that bad it even hit the onions and some maretail that looked like my spuds did
so good luck to you all and i hope that the frost does not visit you

Here in Northampton we were visited by what I can only describe as an "Attack Frost". All tender plants were destroyed. Not burnt, completely flattened. I had been watching the 10 day forecasts for ages given the unfeasibly warm April and I knew that last night was the most likely problem night but the BBC weather forecast said "OK - frost in the North only" Rumours the air temperature fell to -6  :ohmy: In town!
Last night was not cold at 11:30pm or 07:00am this morning. Shocked at what I found on the Allotments (Thornton Park - Northampton)
So........all that April growth lies in ruins.
Still, not as bad as my feloow allotment holder who planted out 40+ tomato plants and 100+ bean plants yesterday. Possibly one of the shortest growing times in allotment history.
Mike

maxyboo

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 21:29 »
 I didn't notice any frost forecast on the local news last night. Noticed my spuds leaves looking a bit blackened in places today. Today the weather forecaster mentioned that last night was chilly. Bit late now! Will certainly be more vigilant from now on. Just checked the allotments which are next to my garden and the old timers have fleeced up so I have done the same.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 21:36 »
We escaped the frost here, but I'm not taking any chances. Spuds covered where possible, courgettes and squashes have squash bottles over them, netting over the runner and dwarf beans.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
frost

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 19:55
by richrua
xx
Frost

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 11:02
by brokenglass
xx
FROST !

Started by David. on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 17:41
by slowcompost
xx
Frost

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2023, 17:58
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 29 queries.