Neighbours complaining!!!

• 33 Replies

taximan

Re: Neighbours complaining!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 21:12 »
sorry if i seem to have attitude, but i live on a council estate{shameless} but nowhere as bad really. dont see problem with a little bit of country noise, (something different). but yours seem to be really noisey for alot of time.but i wouldnt jump the gun by getting rid. got to give em a chance to settle to the different light times now.

jinty1911

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 21:25 »
It's not just 1 neighbour that has complained, it's now 4, so will have to do something fast.  Don't want windows smashed in or some idiot throwing poison over the wall.  To be honest, we are walking on tenderhooks everytime we go out into the garden incase they start a racket and if we don't go out and they know we are here they start as well.  Think I have spoilt them to much. I am awake all night just waiting for the noise to start.  Lesson learnt  :(  :(

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 22:10 »
I know its hard, but perhaps they would be happier with the free range flock and maybe you could replace them with a breed that are quieter (if there is such a thing).

It may just be habitual with your particular hens and if you changed them for others all may be quiet again :(

I have a couple of noisy ones at the moment but they are going in May anyway... when their new owners come back from hols.... Cant wait :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 22:22 »
i dont know what is wrong with some people.you expect a bit of noise from a few chickens. ive got dogs and people around me that would put my chickens noise to shame.wo be tide anybody that knocks on my door to complain. no law says you cant keep chickens.

Actually, just for general information rather than pointed at anyone on this thread in particular, if chickens are too noisy then they may be causing a statutory nuisance, and environmental health have legal powers to force you to stop them causing a nuisance - either by taking steps to reduce the noise, or otherwise getting rid of them.  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 22:51 »
all I can suggest is to make sure the coop is dark and don't let them out too early. Also they tend to be quieter when they free range - I have taken in a few chickens that were too noisy for their owners neighbours but when they get to mine they soon shut up as they have more to explore.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 21:21 »
I have tried everything. Covered the house in black tarpoline, kept them in as late as I could, they free range over a 40ft x 35ft garden and have plenty of digging/scratching areas, things to play with/jump on, greens ect, but nothing worked.  So they are away to free-range in a big field with 9 other girls, a cockerel, 3 geese and 3 ponies.  AND I know they will be quiet there because they will not be the top girls so will have nothing to shout about.  Just hope the remaining 3 girls will stay quiet.   :(

wildwitchy

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 21:38 »
what a shame for you jinty & the hens. Horrible moaners. It's just my personal opinion , as they are a fave breed of mine but brahmas are very docile quiet breed. They are big birds though - daft as brushes. I think you can bantam versions.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 22:19 »
Ah, cant believe you had to give them away :( How sad. Fingers crossed your next girls are quieter  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 06:17 »
how sad for you, hugs xx

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06 »
Really sorry you had to give them away xx

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13 »
It amazes me how people fail to notice the biggest source of environmental noise or if they do they are not in the least disturbed by it.  :blink:

How many neighbours complain about motor cars around them? It's almost impossible in my area to be anywhere at anytime without hearing them especially the thrumming deep brooming flash-boy jobs with over-powerful engines.

Chickens would be a pleasant change and remind me of my early childhood in south London when there were fewer cars and more space than there is now.  ::)

Sorry to hear the chickens had to go :( Very sad.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:15 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jinty1911

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 18:55 »
Thanks for all your support.  The best thing is that we are over-whelmed with seagulls and crows that start screeching at 4.30 in the morning, near an airport and trainline and the A77 but I must admit the girls were very noisy.  I was hoping the 2 Pekins and Orpy bantie would be quiet but hubby said today that when one of the pekins was laying the orpy started shouting as well. Oh Dear  :(  :(  Guess I will be having a very short Chicken keeping career!  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 01:36 »
Thanks for all your support.  The best thing is that we are over-whelmed with seagulls and crows that start screeching at 4.30 in the morning, near an airport and trainline and the A77 but I must admit the girls were very noisy.  I was hoping the 2 Pekins and Orpy bantie would be quiet but hubby said today that when one of the pekins was laying the orpy started shouting as well. Oh Dear  :(  :(  Guess I will be having a very short Chicken keeping career!  :(

A peacock and a couple of peahens would be a great short-term replacement. The neighbours would soon be begging you to swap back to chickens!  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 08:37 »

I'm so sorry Jinty. It did occur to me how your neighbours cope with the dawn chorus?! To say nothing of garden machinery - I'd rather have chickens!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jinty1911

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49 »
One of the neighbours 2 doors down has thrown his kitchen scraps into the back garden for the gulls for years.  When anyone has complained about the noise he says no-one is going to stop him feeding his birds, and I don't suppose there is much anyone can do about the gulls but they can make me get rid of my chickens.  :(

xx
Complaining neighbour

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 16:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Neighbours cats?! Help!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 10:11
by Jeanette
xx
Noise and Neighbours

Started by digby on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 20:11
by Fat Hen
xx
neighbours dog killing chickens

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 20:16
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 29 queries.