Neighbours complaining!!!

• 33 Replies

jinty1911

Neighbours complaining!!!
« on: April 17, 2011, 15:54 »
The 2 big girls have started making a racket in the last 2 or 3 weeks and now the neighbours have started complaining.  They are bok bok boarkkkkking all the time and I don't know what to do to shut them up.  It starts at 7am every morning and continues all morning.  Any suggestions?

sheridan

Re: Neighbours complaining!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 18:41 »
Mine do that when they wake for 5 mins, when laying, and when the kids are noisy. I have found that if I rush out and feed them after laying , they stop the morning sun worship noise. I am lucky though, I back onto fields, and our gardens are 250 ft long, so it's not a problem for anyone, really.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 20:23 »
My Black Rocks do that and pace up and down the boundary fence when they are ready to lay.  I take the individual who is making the noise and shut her in the coop for 20 minutes or so.  She settles down in the nest box and does the business.  When she comes out she is nice and quiet.  Hope this helps.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 20:57 »
Could you not keep them in a little longer in the mornings - I love my girls but if they woke me before I was ready I would be cross too!  I tend to keep them in later on weekend mornings to give my neighbours a lie-in.  An olive branch of a few eggs to the grumpy ones with a promise you are trying to work out a way to minimise their racket may help.  Good luck. 

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27 »
Our girls aren't let out until about 8 in the morning - later at weekends as I like my lie in.  Sometimes we hear a bit of muttering from the coop but it's not too bad.

I liike the suggestion of a few fresh eggs - that might soften their hearts.

It could be worth talking to the neighbours (those who have complained & those who haven't) to establish exactly what the problem is: some people don't do mornings, some people might be startled by the explosion of 'Hey look at this egg I've laid'.  People who work nights, or weird shifts, really struggle with normal daytime noises.  Once you've got a clearer idea of what the issue is, you can target your changes better.
ManicMum

Beano

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:26 »
Ours make a racket in the coop and are quieter once they've been let out. Mind you having said that, two of them are very loud and with shout if they know I'm about.  Are yours creating because of boredom? Try keeping them occupied  with a cabbage or something equally enjoyable. I would try and bribe the neighbours with eggs also. Sorry I  can't be of more help
El.

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 13:30 »
I guess it would help if we knew what this particular call signifies? I know the sound your hens are making, one of mine seems to go through phases of doing this and I notice that it is usually when she is by herself, the other hen being in the nesting box, laying. If I open the window or go out the back she usually stops.

I don't know how easy it would be to do this but I think it would be useful if we could have a library of hen calls (using sound files) on the forum along with a description of what is thought to be their meaning. Would this be a possibility?
Helen

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 15:14 »
My chicks are only just over a fortnight old. From what you are all saying, if we set a regular pattern of opening the door, once they are in the coop will they will be happy with that. Our coop is quite large so it's not like they don't have room to move about when they are in there

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 15:23 »
all our neighbours get free eggs.  And come Easter I shall do them little decorated ones - pure bribery and nothing more!  If you go to ebay, you can get little 4 egg boxes.  I'm a packaging designer, so have done some graphics and the neighbours wouldn't dare complain now!
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 17:30 »
Good idea Cejx, I may have to get some picures and egg boxes ready for if/when my girls or any new ones make a racket  :D

Jinty sorry but I can't really add any more than what the others have said, would be easier for you to work out what to do about the girls if you could work out whats wrong, whether its a new cat getting in the garden, they are bored, want to lay an egg etc...

But I definitely think bribing them with eggs is the way forward  :)

taximan

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 18:34 »
i dont know what is wrong with some people.you expect a bit of noise from a few chickens. ive got dogs and people around me that would put my chickens noise to shame.wo be tide anybody that knocks on my door to complain. no law says you cant keep chickens.

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 19:02 »
They can be very noisy - ours are! Squiggly's bribes are a good idea and a good explanation (!) that they will quieten when the spring becomes summer. Taximan's attitude is asking for problems. Noise is a statutory nuisance  and it doesn't matter what causes it. The penalties could be quite high starting with a notice which effectively stops you having hens. You might get good advice from the very people who would prosecute you - environmental health officers. Much of their work involves problem solving without formal action. Give the local one a ring and ask their views on any action you could take.

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 19:54 »
They don't just do it now and again, it's from 6.50 (on Sunday) and in the afternoon.  They have plenty of things to do but seem to get carried away with themselves.  They bok bok to get out in the morning, Bok bok if they want to lay, bok bok if someone else is laying and just seem to bok bok for no reason.
My daughter came in this afternoon when I was at work and said the noise was dreadfull.  Really don't want to fall out with the neighbours.  I have lived here for 22 years with no trouble, so I think I will have to rehome them.  I have been talking to a lady that has a large mixed flock that free range about 5 miles away, who is willing to take them.  Just have to make the desicion.  :(  :(

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 20:11 »
Oh Jinty you have loved having those hens, especially when they jumped up into your lap.   :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 20:52 »
Would try my remedy first and any others posted by other members.  Don't jump the gun, they might settle down soon.  Fingers crossed.

My Black Rocks do that and pace up and down the boundary fence when they are ready to lay.  I take the individual who is making the noise and shut her in the coop for 20 minutes or so.  She settles down in the nest box and does the business.  When she comes out she is nice and quiet.  Hope this helps.   :D

xx
Complaining neighbour

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 16:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Neighbours cats?! Help!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 10:11
by Jeanette
xx
Noise and Neighbours

Started by digby on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 20:11
by Fat Hen
xx
Neighbours not happy with smell

Started by jt5824 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 19:24
by Maccbean

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.