neighbours dog killing chickens

• 3 Replies

dalesman

neighbours dog killing chickens
« on: March 24, 2009, 19:54 »
Went to put the girls to bed and found my neighbours jack russell in the run. Had killed Elsie but managed to save the other two. The wire to the run is dug into the ground and is double skimmed ( stock fencing with chicken wire on outside). There was evidence where it had made several attempts to dig itself in, but not evident where it finally did. I lost my chickens last year to this same dog, and my husband has spent considerable time and money on building what we thought was a safe haven, taking advice from this site. This dog is like houdini. The garden itself is hedge with wire as previous owner also had a dog and did this to keep theirs in! The girls have an ark and run attached with a run built to give them freedom. It is even netted over the top to stop anything getting in that way. I found the dog trying to dig tunnel under a wire fence in run where Elsie was sectioned off do to bullying problem ( see previous post). Now I am in fear for the lives of the other two. I was upset to actual witness this but was thankful that my two year old grandson was not with me as he often is. This dog is a menace to the neighbourhood and another neighbour has also complained about it running riot around their garden too.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: neighbours dog killing chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 19:58 »
Ohh Carp Dalesman sorry to hear this  >:(  what are the neighbours like would it be worth complaining to them ? 
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 20:02 »
It's the owners responsibility to fence in their dog. The local animal control officer (aka dog warden) might be able to give you some advice/visit and give them an ear full.

If they don't listen to polite requests then hitting their pocket is a good plan B. Write them a polite letter & invoice to cover the cost of the damage/loss.

If you catch him in your garden again see if you can get a couple of photos to prove he's not under control.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 20:16 »
Solorry to read of your problem.

I understand that two seperate complaints about a vicious dog and the police are obliged to act on it.

cathangirl

xx
What is killing these chickens?

Started by animartco on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 14:38
by woodburner
xx
Killing Chickens

Started by bertie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 13:33
by bertie
xx
Dog killing chickens? (not mine thankfully!)

Started by lina on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 18:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
URGENT HELP - Somethings killing my chickens

Started by SJC on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 23:05
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 36 queries.