Neighbours cats?! Help!

• 19 Replies

kirstie1978

Neighbours cats?! Help!
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:30 »
My neighbours appear to have got a cat for Christmas and i'm concerned as i saw it in the back garden yesterday where i keep the chickens....so i've locked them away in their run instead of allowing them free roaming of the garden.... i have secure fencing all the way round the garden and saw it leave by jumping the 6 foot fencing. I'm so gutted as until now there have been no cats in the area to terrorise my aviary or the chickens... Is there any way i can keep them out. I have a house cat so need to be careful if i was to use sound devices i imagine?? I'm worried now about letting them out... any advice??
Thanks
Kirstie

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: Neighbours cats?! Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:37 »
Hi Kirstie,

Just answered a similar question.  You may not have trouble with this cat, especially if it is young and your chooks are a fair size.  One thing I would suggest is a water pistol to startle the cat should it come too close.

Good luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

kirstie1978

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:54 »
thanks, i have a bantam/not growing silkie and a light sussex who has a limp! i will invest in a water pistol in the hope! it's not a kitten, fully grown sadly and appears quite strong! eek! any way of proofing the garden??

madcat

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50 »
If it is new, it is just exploring and learning.  A water pistol will teach it that your garden is a horrid place and chances are it will not be included in 'territory'.  There will be many more nicer places to be.

The problems are much harder for all concerned when chickens are introduced into a cats existing territory. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:55 »
Your ladies may be not growing and limping, but they both have a sharp beak and a set of wings, so I would think the cat would come off worse in an encounter.  My dog knows his place, even though he shares the garden with my hens and often "helps" when I'm putting them in.
Good luck,
cathangirl

SocksOn

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:03 »
I imagine once the cat especially if young will quickly get the message if it gets too close and has a sharp peck. Hopefully the water pistol will sort it out though  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:09 »
I would imagine the chickens will be ok. Mine frightened of 2 west highland terriers and a yorkshire terrier, they are now terrified of the chickens. :)

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 14:20 »
Lots of cats round here and they have never bothered with my silky/sussex chooks
Jinty

Elaine J

• Work = Organic Dairy Farming
    • www.2rr.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 15:10 »
We've got a big Boxer dog, so don't tend to get many cats in our garden.  A fair few go through the woodland that adjoins our garden though....... but the hens are the ones that do the chasing! It's really funny to watch!!  :D  :D  :D

E.  ;)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 15:41 »
I doubt very much whether the water pistol will make much difference - apart from in your relationship with your neighbour!

I have 5 cats and my chickens free range. Although the cats were here before the chickens it soon became apparent who held the upper hand - hint: it wasn't the cats!! Just because a chicken is a bird, don't assume it's in any danger from a domestic cat. This is real life, not cartoon land, although it can be quite amusing watching a cat being chased by a chicken...

loopylottie

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 19:00 »
there are some plants that cats cant stand if you plant them near the chook house then it might keep it out. also theres a rumor that cats hate orange peel. ???

just an idea.

LottieX
Oh well, whatever, nevermind. - Kurt Cobain.

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:48 »
Hi

I have 3 cats and a dog who are all chased by the chickens, if anything gets into the garden it is chased away by the hens. I also have a water pistol but I don't think I have ever had to use it.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39 »
Hi

I am a cat and chicken fanatic  ::) and my cats are sooooo scared of the girls, I agree with other members that a water pistol is a humane way to deter the cat, but my girls actually protect one of my cats from other cats that come into the garden,

I think the cat really will be scared of the chickens and if you can bear to watch it in the garden and see what happens with the chickens I think you will see that one peck on its tail will deter the cat and make it respect the choox

best of luck

broody
if wishes were changes.......

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44 »
If you get a water pistol you will need a holster and a hat , quick draw and target practice with moving targets will also help. Cigar to be lit by striking a match on the sole of the boot ( buy plenty as wet wellies are not good) and poncho are optional.

If you turn out to be a lousy shot run at the cat screaming with a wet mop.

The hens will probably look after themselves but the above will add colour and interest. :)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23 »
If you get a water pistol you will need a holster and a hat , quick draw and target practice with moving targets will also help. Cigar to be lit by striking a match on the sole of the boot ( buy plenty as wet wellies are not good) and poncho are optional.

If you turn out to be a lousy shot run at the cat screaming with a wet mop.

The hens will probably look after themselves but the above will add colour and interest. :)

Best suggestion yet! Nice one, 8doubles - uh, did you happen to think that one up after 8 doubles??   :D

xx
Neighbours complaining!!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 19:33
by pink-chicken
xx
Noise and Neighbours

Started by digby on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 20:11
by Fat Hen
xx
Neighbours sick chicken

Started by quail chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 13:02
by pepsi100
xx
Keeping the neighbours happy!

Started by daveh on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 15:39
by calli

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.