Help with electric hen - its hot not warm!

• 7 Replies

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
Help with electric hen - its hot not warm!
« on: April 11, 2011, 19:48 »
Hi

Well my new chicks have hatched and Im picking them up tomorrow so am very very very excited  :D

But I want to get everything ready for them so they aren't off heat for too long, so does anyone have an idea how high the legs should be for day old cochins please?

Also are the legs just meant to slide into the square plate or screw in? I got the impression they just slide in and are held by the two nuts but I had to screw my legs in and just wondered if this is right?

Another also...  :blush:  how early should I turn the electric hen on before I pick them up? Before I leave for work at 9:30am (Ill be back with them at just gone 1pm) ??

Or just get someone to turn it on half an hour before I get home?

Thank you from a very excited soon to be chick mommy  :)

NEW PROBLEM!!!

Ive just turned it upside down and placed my hand on the bottom of it and its hot! its like holding your hand on a hot radiator - you don't want to do it for more than a couple of seconds.
Won't this burn the chicks? I thought it was just meant to be warm?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 21:48 by Squiggly »

Chickway

Re: Help with electric hen - how high to have legs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 20:21 »
I am new to this too.  I am on my third hatch and learning all the time.  I have a brinsea ecoglow and they should be ok to leave on while your out from 9.30 as they use very little electricity.  I have 5 day old chicks and mine is set at 10cm from the floor and you raise it to the next level each week.  I have 9 under mine at the moment and they love it.  Good luck and enjoy.
Chickway x

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 21:10 »
I have mine on an angle (and I had to screw my legs in ;) ) so that the lowest bit is back height when they are lying dwon and the highest bit is back height when they are standing up.

You'll have to keep adjusting it about every three days.

Id switch it on in the morning.  they can take a while to get up to temperature :)

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 21:20 »
Ok brilliant thank you (glad your legs screw in too lol!)

Ive put mine on an angle at the moment (two legs are 10cm and two are 8cm) just an estimated one and Ill adjust it properly when they arrive tomorrow.

And Ill switch it on before I leave for work.......Oooo I can't wait!! Thanks to you both for the help  :)

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
Re: Help with electric hen - its hot not warm!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 21:48 »
Ive just edited my post with a new problem

Ive just turned it upside down and placed my hand on the bottom of it and its hot! its like holding your hand on a hot radiator - you don't want to do it for more than a couple of seconds.
Won't this burn the chicks? I thought it was just meant to be warm?

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 21:51 »
It's meant to be hot!

It wont burn the chicks... though what can happen is that they can wear off the down from their wing joints - but I've raised lots of chicks, ahd haven' had a burnt on yet ;)

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 21:56 »
Lol burnt chicken.....not good in any situation  :D

Thanks for that, I know it was a stupid question really but I never expected it to get that hot  :wub:

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28 »
I use the Brinsea Electric hen for mine and when they are too warm all they do is sit at the entrance to it. It's meant to act exactly as a mother hen would, offering occasional heat and enabling the chicks to run about and play and return to mum for a quick warm before chaos starts again!
If you think it may be malfunctioning, drop the manufacturing company an email and they can tell you if the "radiator heat" is correct or not.

xx
Warm weather

Started by Maison Lammonite on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 21:26
by Maison Lammonite
xx
Hens Warm Enough?

Started by Bev on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 17:07
by Debbieta
xx
Hen in warm bath

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 19:18
by beulah59
xx
keeping chooks warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 20:52
by shaun

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 31 queries.