How long before our first egg?

• 9 Replies

Gemjt

How long before our first egg?
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:54 »
We bought our chickens last week, they are both said to be 6 months old, but how do you know???? I am so keen to get my first egg..... How long will it take fort four little girls to aetle and produce eggs?
Karl, Lewis, Jensen & Guy.... all Girl chickens named after t'husbands hero's (and one of mine)....... Rossi and Murdoch....all Girl cats - again, named after t'husbands hero's!  the things you  have to agree to when you want new pets!

rachelr

Re: How long before our first egg?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:10 »
It depends on breed. Hybrids tend to start laying before full breeds. Mine started about 24 weeks. Also look for other signs like their comb getting much redder. They tend to start curtseying before they lay. curtseying is when you walk towards them they duck down waiting to be jumped on by a cockrel.

good luck and enjoy your new eggs when they come

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 20:34 »
I have 3 hens laying at the mo, 2 are Light Sussex and the other a Legbar. And its one of the Sussex doing the curtseying and only her.
The comb should be developed and they also get chattier.

You could also vent check.  The pelvic bone will be closer to 3 fingers width when they are readiy to lay.  :)

Gemjt

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 19:19 »
Thanks for your help. They are all quiet at the moment, not much chatting and their combs are light red.... So I guesss it may be a bit longer yet. Lewis (one of the bantams) is a bit poorly at the moment. We have been told she is stressed, but I am not sure? She had bubbles coming out of one of her eyes and she was really sleepy yesterday, didn't want to move, eat or drink.... She is Brighter today, but isn't walking very well..... I hope she is going to be ok..

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 19:44 »
I would be concerned about Lewis, type in 'bubbles eyes' into the search box at the top of this page, it could be an infection and she might need some anti-biotics.
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 19:48 »
it could be mycoplasma and stress can make this flare up. she needs to see the vet asap and you need to get enough antibiotics to treat them all as it is contageous. Suggested antibiotics are tylan, aureomycin, denegard or baytril.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Gemjt

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 21:01 »
Hello all, yes I was concerned that may be the case.... I work away so o have instructed my husband to put garlic in their water tomorrow based on posts I read on the forum. Does this come in waves? She seems better today and her eyes are not watery at all today. I am concerned though that this might be a false positive and it may come straight back!

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 21:08 »
she could have been hatched with it if her mum was a sufferer (myco can be passed down from the mum to the egg which is why a good breeder will never breed from a hen that has myco) and any stressful situation can make it flare up. She needs to see a vet, anti biotics will help control it but if it is myco she will always have it. Please take her to a vet to get her diagnosed sooner rather than later.

Gemjt

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42 »
Thanks for the advice, a trip to the vets is in order!  I will keep you all posted! 

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:49 »
always best to get it checked out and if it does turn out to be myco then she will always be susceptible to it in times of stress - so it is always good to have some antibiotics on hand just in case or at least your vet aware so they can prescribe again without you having to keep taking the chicken backwards and forwards  :). Fingers crossed for her  :)

xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
How long??

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 20:57
by evie2
xx
How long do you

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 19:21
by Casey76

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 37 queries.