To clip or not to clip?

• 28 Replies

8doubles

Re: To clip or not to clip?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 12:48 »

Still thinking rabbit claws !  :) :) I probably still have scars from that. :D

Try clipping ferret claws then  :tongue2: :tongue2:

My ferrets have always been tamer and done less physical damage than any of the rabbits i`ve owned . :)

If you take the ferrets out rabbiting you rarely need to trim claws. :)

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 13:29 »
I'm sure my pullets would be capable of getting over my 6-ft fences if they were motivated to do so, but they don't.  I was all prepared to clip their wings if I needed to (and a lot of people told me I would need to) but I'm glad I waited.

I have a 5-ft high gate between the back yard (chicken central) and the front yard (out of bounds).  The chickens have squeezed through a tiny gap to go under the gate, but since I plugged that they have never tried to go over despite having discovered the gourmet offerings of the front yard.

This might be breed-specific (mine are all heavy breeds) or due to individual temperaments, or simply that the back yard has a lot of nooks and crannies with delicious bugs still undiscovered.

That's interesting, sounds quite similar to my situation although mine are all hybrids. I'm more concerned that they would WANT to escape rather than that they are able to (which I'm sure they probably are). They have free-ranged every day since we got them and have not made a break for it yet! They do seem very happy with the garden they have and have enjoyed lots of sunbathing and dust-bathing today  :D
I think if I can fill in the small gap at the end that is lower than the rest then I will feel happier.
They do SEEM to know that staying close to home where all the treats and food are is a good thing though!

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 13:57 »
I'm sure my pullets would be capable of getting over my 6-ft fences if they were motivated to do so, but they don't.  I was all prepared to clip their wings if I needed to (and a lot of people told me I would need to) but I'm glad I waited.

I have a 5-ft high gate between the back yard (chicken central) and the front yard (out of bounds).  The chickens have squeezed through a tiny gap to go under the gate, but since I plugged that they have never tried to go over despite having discovered the gourmet offerings of the front yard.

This might be breed-specific (mine are all heavy breeds) or due to individual temperaments, or simply that the back yard has a lot of nooks and crannies with delicious bugs still undiscovered.

That's interesting, sounds quite similar to my situation although mine are all hybrids. I'm more concerned that they would WANT to escape rather than that they are able to (which I'm sure they probably are). They have free-ranged every day since we got them and have not made a break for it yet! They do seem very happy with the garden they have and have enjoyed lots of sunbathing and dust-bathing today  :D
I think if I can fill in the small gap at the end that is lower than the rest then I will feel happier.
They do SEEM to know that staying close to home where all the treats and food are is a good thing though!

That's right chx are terriorial and associate with home where they find food and security.  It's a misconception that chx want to "escape" like caged birds, usually if they get outside their range it's by accident and they they will pace up and down trying to get back in getting quite aggitated if they can't find a way back.   Clipping their wings just makes it harder for them to do so.
HF
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 14:32 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 14:17 »
That's what I was hoping to be true  :) (And I would much rather they are staying here by choice than by the lack of ability to escape!) Well, I will hold off for now and just keep a good eye on them!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 15:14 »
Hi I have had my girls for a year and they never got out even though the fence is only 3 foot high, but suddenly one was getting out and I was having to search neighbours gardens etc  every day to find her (luckily I have great neighbours who thinks she is lovely), we are not sure if this was because we just lost the top hen or whether it is because its spring time and this is her first spring (as she is a rescue hen), so clipped one wing but it made no difference! The fence is now 2 meters high but only in the place which she liked to get over, rest of fence still 3 foot!! :wacko:

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 15:22 »
If they see a tasty morsel crawling along next door they will extend their `territory` to get it. :)

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 16:10 »
Can't see nextdoor neighbours at all (solid wood fence) so hopefully no danger of that  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 16:49 »
Some chx are natural Marco Polos and will roam.  My original Orloffs were, as they came from a largely ferrel community and interestingly their offspring who were incubator raised and were housed with a flock away from their parents haven't shown any tendancy to roam.  However the ones who were raised under the original hen and are in the same flock have adopted their parents wandering ways even though both groups are in separate electric nets about 100m apart.  Chx do show a capacity to learn from other chx and if you have a free spirit in the flock they can lead the less adventurous astray. :lol:
HF
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 23:48 by hillfooter »

rachelr

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 17:47 »
I have brought three different groups of girls into my garden and had no problems with the first two. The last lot I integrated too soon and they flew all the time. I did clip them but they have now malted and grown back and they do not try and leave.

I have found the rattle of the corn tin is a much bigger draw then the neighbours slugs lol

pigeonpie

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39 »
Generally I agree with what Hillfooter has said, however there are always exceptions to the rule.  I have one hen in particular that seems to spend most of her time plotting escape and frequently manages it.  Instead of taking herself off round the fields she heads for the village and other people's gardens, presumably where she can find food without having to compete with the rest of the flock, having the first choice of the tastiest worms, greenest grass and the spills from the bird feeders.  She does always return, but as soon as we work out where she's been getting through and block it she finds another way.  None of the others bother!   ::)

gillian62

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 16:47 »
We have just discovered that we have an escape artist!! We have had her and another hybrid for about 3 weeks.  She escaped the first night, so I clipped wings the next morning.

However, over the weekend, she has started to escape and turn up in neighbours gardens. 

I have never had this problem before, and not sure what to do, especially if there is the possibility that she can tempt the others to start escaping.  The chucks have all been quite happy pottering at top end of the garden, 6 ft fence, but obviously bits they can jump up on - enclosed run, barrels, small bushes.  However, this chuck is intent on continuing her journey up and away!!

Not quite sure what to do with her.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 23:58 »
We have clipped wings on our new girls - they seem to see the fence as a challenge! - but it hasn't stopped "Hendini" and occasionally the others.  They don't go far - just round the garden - but we'd rather they didn't as we have dogs who haven't quite bought into "we don't eat family".
ManicMum

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 07:55 »
I have 6' Fences all around and my one cheecky hen out of the lot likes to walk under the fence by our shed that has a gap of all of 6 inch or so and goes next door to see the other hens and has a mooch.

they have a locked gate so i have to go 2 doors down over a hedge row and call her and belive it or not she comes slowly down then plays hard to get but we always get her home in the end.

yes 90% of our flock has clipped wings does it help a bit but they still can get high enough to get in tress if need be. and i dont think you could tell our hens wings are clipped they dont look ugly to the eye and they will molt before winter so i have no worries by then i dont think they will try to fly the coop.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

bramford

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 20:37 »
I have clipped both of my girls just to be sure, they have the full run of the garden when we are in it so would hate them to leave us

xx
To clip or not to clip

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:05
by Sassy
xx
To clip or not to clip - help

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 15:29
by storme37
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 16:06
by tosca100
xx
clip or not to clip...

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 22:59
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 27 queries.