clip or not to clip...

• 22 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
clip or not to clip...
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:21 »
.. that is the question..

I haven't done mine as I don't seen to need to.. is it worth doing or not bother?

chickychick

• Experienced Member
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:32 »
we clipped ours after seeing one of em fly straight up about 6ft! I decided that she could escape the garden quite easily if she was out of her pen sometime and we live in a village with roads!! ulp

once clipped you can hardly tell they have been done to look at becuase the flight feathers get tucked in.  

Its a few minute job for a few hens.

The only convincing argument I have heard for not clipping so far is that if a fox gets near they can fly away when not clipped, but mine were in a pen so couldnt see that that would help really.  Also I recon the fox would get em anyway cause they are pretty daft!
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

muntjac

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57 »
wing feather clip for keeping them home .... do not accept flesh cliped birds and this cruel thing will be resigne to the compost bin
still alive /............

Bodger

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:10 »
Sadgit. ( Do know, that for weeks I've thought you were Indian ? )

If you don't feel your birds need it, then don't do it. :D

Contadino

• Experienced Member
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 13:43 »
Are we talking wing feathers, or anywhere else?  I'm with Munty - wings OK, anything else is cruel.

We bought 7 new hens a couple of months back and they'd had their beaks clipped.  Poor things really struggled to pickup grain.  They're growing back, but even so it's horrid to see.  It's the norm over here.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 13:46 »
I wanted our new Amberlinks wings tips clipped, as like CC said, they can fly over 6ft high, and 2 of ours have gone over the 6ft fence into the ex batt girls runs and got attacked.

But for some reason, hubby won't do it.  Won't say why, and he was one of the beak clipping brigade, so its not beause he thinks he might hurt them.  Just lazy I think!!!!! lol

muntjac

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 13:49 »
all tats needed is the wings clipped back to the second primary feather line  :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 15:28 »
aye I mean wings clipped.. So far they haven't tried to fly into the trees etc so might wait and see if they do, then decide..

cheers
SADGIT not Sanjit!! :tongue2:

littleorchard

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 13:10 »
I have had chickens over the years, I think if you've kept them in their run for a while and then let them out they will be fine.  They know when there on to a good thing and come back when they are ready(or going dark). Watch out for them disappearing to lay tho! We went on the hunt after one of our banhams kept nipping off, found her in next doors ivy with 13 eggs!

Moby1

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 18:56 »
So how high can a chicken with clipped wings fly? I want to let mine roam the garden but only have a four foot fence - will clipping stop them getting over this?

mobyjones

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 19:05 »
Quote from: "Moby1"
So how high can a chicken with clipped wings fly? I want to let mine roam the garden but only have a four foot fence - will clipping stop them getting over this?

Clipped properly yes. Remember you only need to do one wing. And remember you'll need to keep doing it! lol Remember not to stack things up close to the fence that they can use to get over it though..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 19:21 »
Some birds are flightier than others Moby1.  I have a friend with white stars who can still  flap onto her 5 ft hedge  :shock:   They tend to settle down as they get older and heavier though, when they find they have everything they need at home.

mobyjones

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 19:29 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Some birds are flightier than others Moby1.  I have a friend with white stars who can still  flap onto her 5 ft hedge  :shock:   They tend to settle down as they get older and heavier though, when they find they have everything they need at home.

Are they the same as a white Bovans (sp). A hybrid bird? If they are I bet you a tenner they were not clipped enough.  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
clip or not to clip...
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 20:33 »
No I think they were just young and light enough to cope with unbalanced flight.

When you clip their wings SG only clip the primaries, they need the others for warmth during the winter, and be ccareful not to cut into the blood supply.

mobyjones

clip or not to clip...
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 20:37 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
No

I could have sworn a white Bovan is the same bird as a white star? You sure?

xx
To clip or not to clip

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:05
by Sassy
xx
To clip or not to clip - help

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 15:29
by storme37
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 23:01
by VeggieVirgin
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 16:06
by tosca100

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.