To clip or not to clip - help

• 5 Replies

maggiemc

To clip or not to clip - help
« on: September 22, 2011, 22:37 »
The big day is looming (1st Oct) when i collect 4 battery hens. :D I have been following all the different tips and advice given on here, but one thing I am not at all sure about is wing clipping. We have a house and run (which we have tripled in length)which has part wire, part covered roof, so do I need to clip their wings, or are ex batts already clipped?. We do plan on having an open area for them to range in, about 3ft high, but that will be at a future date.I will appreciate any views and guidence you can give. I must say I am not keen on the idea of clipping, but if I must, I must. Thanks very much.

asd1

• Experienced Member
Re: To clip or not to clip - help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 22:45 »
Ex bats tend to be too weak to walk for long let alone fly, I would say they should be fine. I only clip wings if they escape but I of fen find I only need to do it once then they learn not to run away after that

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:59 »
I agree with asd1.  Your ex-batt chickens will be pretty overwhelmed by all the new sights and sounds and probalbly want to stary as close to home as possible.  Also their wing and leg muscles will never havehad the chance to develop properly so I would be urprised if they are capable of getting out.

I have six pullets who range around my back yard at their leisure.  Most of the yard has 6-ft fences, but the gate is less than 5ft and they have never tried to get over it.  (They have tried to go under it though!)

freebirdy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:41 »
well done on making the choice to take on ex bats!  :D Agree totally with the other replies, your birds will be so overwhelmed and in such a state the poor things will just want to stay put once they know they have got it good!!! I personally keep pure breeds and have only has cause to clip one of my birds who was a regular houdini! Any chance she got it was up and over the fence! I may be taking on some ex bats myself as I now have this big guilt complex going on when I see my lovely happy girls (and boy!!!) strolling round my garden free ranging and so wish I had given a loving home to some birds so in need of some TLC.
So once again, well done on your choice, it sounds as if your more than ready to home your girls and nurse them back to good health and let them live a good life! Post some pics!

maggiemc

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 19:45 »
Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest about wing clipping. I am really looking forward to getting the girls. Will keep you posted on how it all goes. Thank you for your kind words.

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 15:29 »
you wont  have to worry about clipping they dont have many feathers having said that a month later they maybe able to mine do a little but they seem to stay close to home anyway as they have free run of the garden.
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

question
To clip or not to clip???

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 13:31
by mad mark
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 20:37
by bramford
xx
To clip or not to clip

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:05
by Sassy
xx
To clip or not to clip?

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 16:06
by tosca100

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 28 queries.