Allotments - value for money or expensive hobby?

• 56 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Allotments - value for money or expensive hobby?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 11:54 »
if you sold the strawbwerries(organic) off our plot last year at marks and sparks prices it would have totalled just above £400 kilo after kilo

our allotment   saves us loads of money and the joy of fresh veg well thats just the wow factor for me and my rent is £5 year for 20 poles i feed all the family from it as well i just love love love it

Composto

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15 »
NSALG did a survey recently and reckoned that an annual outlay of about £250 should return in the region of £1500 worth of fruit and veg.

There's no need to justify the time spent on the allotment, it's a hobby (way of life?) that produces excellent, tasty veg that supermarkets, farmers markets and local veg shops cannot match.  As bigben said, the cost is far less than membership of a gym or golf club, and let's face it, in the words of Mark Twain, a round of golf is a good walk ruined!

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 13:43 »
The joy it brings is priceless :D

compostqueen

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 13:59 »
I don't know about you all but I get loads of lotty equipment for gifts from my grateful family. My husband, sister, brother, son, nieces and nephews always get me something useful for birthday and Christmas to help me with my lotty year.  They enjoy buying me things that will result in them getting a share of the bounty.  I got a dehydrator for my birthday  :)

Each birthday I know my bro will buy me a box and it will be stuffed with lotty essentials and the latest Hugh Fernly or Jamie :)

taurus1530

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 14:48 »
I feel, our allotment is value for money and whilst it has a few draw backs it is peaceful tranquil place, the soil is good and produces good crops. We have a ready supply of Horse Manure delivered whenever our manure bins are empty, thanks to local stables. All in all a rewarding stress free way to relax and spend many a happy hour or three.

Zippy

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 15:58 »
Surely when you look at the price of tomatoes, peppers, leeks, garlic, soft fruit and squashes to name but a few, unless you live on beans and white bread all your life - how can you say your allotment doesn't pay for itself? I don't get it!

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 21:25 »
Surely when you look at the price of tomatoes, peppers, leeks, garlic, soft fruit and squashes to name but a few, unless you live on beans and white bread all your life - how can you say your allotment doesn't pay for itself? I don't get it!

So far this year i have spent £187.00  on seeds (inc potato and onion sets) compost, manure,chicken pellets, weed fabric, and allotment annual fee (£17).
I have not priced in fuel to and from the allotment and expect to buy bamboo canes and netting in the near future.
So far this year my allotment has produced a few leeks to take home to the table....therefore i am definately out of pocket (financially) so far .
Also alot of the fruit and vege later in the season comes in a glut and i end up giving loads away,especially courgettes,cauliflower,beans,raspberries,strawberries and cabbages. (my freezer can only take so much)
I also know people on my allotment that don't grow some or all of the following onions,carrots,main crop spuds or peas because "its cheaper to buy them from the supermarket"
If i break even this year then great, if not who cares.I love it anyway.

Zippy

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 23:27 »
Just goes to show you can make it an expensive hobby if you want to.

chrissie B

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 23:37 »
i was talking to my next door lady the other day she was asking me what i would do with the garden i said i wont change too much as i like it the way it is but i do want a little veg patch at the bottom she lit up saying oh no one has done that round here for years and went on to say that the whoe length of her garden was veg when her hubby was alive now its just grass no flwers just grass and a path oh and the shed which the clothes line is holding up but in it is the first cooker her husband had ever bought her and she wont throw it out and its so big they bult a shed round it lol
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Zippy

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 23:48 »
any chance your neighbour would hand you her grassy garden so she could see it in full bloom again? You could pay her in veggies? If not, how about you take her lawn mowings for composting?

I'm always on the lookout for recycing, freecycling and opportunities which all go to making this way of life more than pay for itself.

chrissie B

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14 »
its a thought Zippy but after one mowing by compost is full old jack left me a full compost bin and a half full one which is now full , her son in law does the garden for her hes dug over the front so he may be going to plant some flowers fingers crossed , i just looked at her shedthis morning and some more wind like this last week and it will be gone i think once hubby goes this morning i will be on with the digging daughter says she will come at the weekend to lend a hand .
chrissie b

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 08:33 »
war with the dig for victory campaign.

That's where I got my username from!  :D

For us, it's not so much about the cost, (you can buy big bags of carrots etc from supermarkets for 50p at times, excellent value!), although some crops can be really yeild/cost effective - but more about releasing us from the whole having to buy what the shops want us to buy and buying into the whole rejection of perfectly good produce back to the farmers because it's too big or a rude shape or summat!!  :tongue2:

xx
A new project/hobby

Started by Tammie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2006, 16:25
by Ian_P
xx
Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 16:04
by Totty
xx
The worlds most expensive leek?

Started by Ian_P on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 20:20
by Ian_P
xx
expensive F1 tomato seed tip

Started by pushrod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 37 queries.