Allotments - value for money or expensive hobby?

• 56 Replies

240173paul

Re: Allotments - value for money or expensive hobby?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 19:22 »
rent £10, Fertalizer £20, Compost £10 Seeds £20, petrol >:( >:( >:( so about a pound a each week plus as much time as I can possibley spend on it, at least an hour a day - but thats pleasure ;)

gimli

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 19:27 »
 :D for me its about simply the peace of it and the soil and the digging and the freshness.
i adore my allotment and spend as little cash as i can
but even if i spent more it would be worth it
gimli

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 19:33 »
For me it really is about cost. I love growing fruit and veg which is a good job as I need to to keep the food shoppng costs down. I don't buy new seed each year, just use what I have and 'treat' myself to a few others. I believe that the cost of seed will be even cheaper once I have an allotment to fill as I will be able to buy more in bulk. Most of us are also lucky to be given tools or find them at the tip too.

peskypixie

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 19:36 »
It's a fine line this growing lark. When things are cheap in the shops (in season) yours are also ready and gluts ensue and when you factor in the cost of seed/potting compost and time it can all become very expensive BUT..... :blink:

If you are savvy you can recoup losses as you go. For example, I sell surplus plants (in home made paper pots - so no loss of plastic stock) at school, bootfairs etc. Then, when harvest time arrives I sell surplus to the local veg shop and/or exchange for things I have not got.  ::)  

Also, my OH is very clever at making things out of nothing it would seem. Our first Polytunnel hoops were free (he went and asked if he could have them before they rusted) we just then bought the plastic and he made the doors etc. Poly number two was £200 and will take a while to pay off (again, another full size one obtained on the cheap) but I am hoping to grow flowers and herbs in abundance to sell at bootfairs etc in it. Oh and then failing that, there are always farmers markets and chutney. It's all hard work but I love it!  :D

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 20:13 »
For me like a lot of you I dont cost the price in money but in enjoyment. I have no garden or even any space at home so the allotment is my place where I can go to be outside and enjoy myself.
If I costed it up I would have spent hundreds already but I dont really care to be honest I thoughily enjoy being there :)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 20:39 »
For me it's an hobby, that I tend to try and not spend to much money on. Yes, the taste of veg you have grown is unbeatable and you know what chemicals (If Any) have been used.
What I do enjoy is the Frugal aspect of the whole thing, What can I use this for? Etc.

gawk

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 21:50 »
A year at the allotment is cheaper than a couple of rounds at a decent golf course or a month and a bit at the local gym, at the allotment I get lots more excersise and fresh air than the gym and it is way more relaxing than several 3 putts!
It's all too much!

pete1977

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 22:10 »
I costed my allotment last year I reckon on £801.52 @ Tesco prices even though I use 99.9% organic methods but I would not buy them  so I think it’s a fairer comparison...

I spend £120/year the lottie provides enough fruit & veg for 75% of meals for 9 months of the year for  4 adults and 2 children – the money comes from delivering the Yellow pages for 1 half day / year which as my wage is accounted for to the penny!

Seed, spuds and sets £30 then £15 following year   £22.50/ year

Rent + water £27 /year

Compost 150litre bales  with about 50 litres own vermi-compost mixed in after seed use. ]£5.99/year

Fertiliser 5kg FBB £6. think it's gone up a bit this year so let’s call it £7/year

Sundries (plant labels/twine/wire/canes/netting etc.)  £8 / year

Comfrey, compost ,wood ash and manure = Free

mulch = Free

subtotal  70.49

The remaining balance is spent on something to improve the lottie. fencing/polytunnel/shed/tools/camping stove/ rools of weed fabric i buy all these at the very end of the season for a little as possible i.e. a polytunnel RRP £100 - bought for £31 26 plant irrigation kit 9.99 B&Q sale etc etc. 

I don’t consider I make money as my time is not accounted for but it certainly cuts my food bill to almost nothing in the summer months which means the kids benefit with more treats, a healthy diet and a fit and healthy Dad!

compostqueen

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 22:14 »
You can make your own plant labels out of white plastic milk bottles.  Dark nights, scissors, the hours just fly by  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 22:19 »
No question mine gives a lot of value for money.
Taking into account, rent seeds etc we will take far more than we paid for them  over the year.
Now the added value, the social side, chatting etc, educating my young ones and giving them fresh veg (priceless) straight from the plot, no chemicals. Being able to grow the stuff we want to eat along with the variety, when did you last see yellow or black toms in the shops? We also have chooks on ours, again the education side is priceless, my 6 year old could probably identify more veg than a good few adults!
So yes, value for money at my end.  :)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

SkipRat

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39 »
My allotment is more of a lifestyle for me and the mrs. We both downgraded our jobs last year and we now only work 4/5 days a week between us. This means we get down to the plot most days. The allotment provides us with most of our veg all year round (we freeze quite a lot) but as important, as part of our new lifestyle, has given us a greater perspective on whats important in life (ooo i,m getting all filosoficle  :lol: :lol: :lol:) So the answer to the question is yes they are great value for money.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

lacewing

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08 »
Cost! what cost?  I'm enjoying myself!!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14 »
All of my money goes straight on things for the plot, but i would much rather it go on the plot, something that i love to do and spend all my time on, than spend it going iinto town and sweets and chips like a lot of my mates do, id much rather buy a good bag of compost any day ;) :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33 »
My allotment is more of a lifestyle for me and the mrs. We both downgraded our jobs last year and we now only work 4/5 days a week between us. This means we get down to the plot most days. The allotment provides us with most of our veg all year round (we freeze quite a lot) but as important, as part of our new lifestyle, has given us a greater perspective on whats important in life (ooo i,m getting all filosoficle  :lol: :lol: :lol:) So the answer to the question is yes they are great value for money.
I am looking forward to my redundancy as I hope to do the same - spend more time on my plot. I believe I may be gone from my job in July!!! Just in time to do some more weeding.  Who would have thought threat redundancy could cheer me up!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 11:34 »
Incidentally - great responses from all.

xx
A new project/hobby

Started by Tammie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2006, 16:25
by Ian_P
xx
expensive F1 tomato seed tip

Started by pushrod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 06:41
by DD.
xx
Worlds most expensive Tomatoes !!

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 13:46
by ColinGrigson
xx
Expensive seeds - Are they worth it?

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 16:04
by Totty

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 36 queries.