Chicken housing/runs/set ups

• 13 Replies

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
Chicken housing/runs/set ups
« on: March 15, 2011, 13:49 »
I'm looking through all the (many, many!!) different options and don't know what to choose  :blink:
Is there a thread of photos of people's chicken housing anywhere? It would help me to be able t see stuff that's actually in use!

Dominic

Re: Chicken housing/runs/set ups
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 14:55 »
If you find one with detailed photos, let me know....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 23:14 »
There's plenty of threads re what to avoid!! And a good few on what makes a good coop.  Try to look at it before buying - many people seem less than happy with what they've bought online - and don't believe the manufacturers about how many chickens it will hold.

Smooth walls and as few joins as possible, perches higher than nest boxes and easy access for cleaning.  Not roofing felt.  At least 12" perch per hen (a bit less for bantams).  At least 1 sq m of run per bird but 2 or 3 sq m better.  Weld mesh not chicken wire......
ManicMum

mooie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04 »
I agree with Manicmum try not to buy online or if you have to (I have to really) try and see the hut first or maybe post a link to it on here and get peoples opinions?
I bought mine online and it said it would hold 6 chickens but I will have 3 banty's (2 at the moment) and they are only going to be in it for a very very short while while we save to get a bigger one, its really not the right size at all.  :(

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:44 »
Actually, I think that's a great idea - I keep searching for examples, and they're few and far between.
maybe a new thread with Chicken coop and run pictures, like the poultry pictures thread?

who wants to start it?  :D

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 14:20 »
That would be really useful, thanks  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 14:59 »
i will try and get some pictures up later, i have almost every type of chicken run, about 30 in all i think, but none of these stupid overpriced plastic coops.
they are not stupidly overpriced - pricewise they are comparible to a good wooden coop and will last for a good 30 years needing nothing more than a wash with a little squirt of washing up liquid and water. I own 8 wooden coops and 1 eglu classic and the eglu wins hands down. I bought this second hand for £200 (I think) and it's a pretty shade of blue which strangely does blend in rather well. Until you have tried one you can't really call them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 15:37 »
it's really kicking off about plastic versus wood isn't it?
 :ohmy:

i don't understand.  :wacko:

I had a wooden coop, and I've just bought a new wooden coop.

the last wooden coop did warp a bit because of the wet. It would have helped if we'd re-preserved it after 2 years, but we didn't.
the pophole door was awful - it was made of 3 ply and warped and stuck very quickly.

I have looked at eglus, and I think they're a brilliant idea - water-proof, easy to keep clean.
the reason I never bought an Eglu was because I wanted the size to be flexible and I couldn't afford the cube.
For a backyard chicken-keeper, an Eglu is the most sensible solution, because it is so low maintenance.

I wish people would stop going on about it - neither option is a bad option.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 15:52 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73179.0

I've made a new thread to put your run pictures up....
 :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 16:02 »
sadly when it comes down to what coop it usually does kick off, as I said I have both and what my preference is (although I prefer the classic eglu to the cube) but for all my girls would cost me an arm and a leg. My poots are in a converted wooden tool store which suits them fine, I have a cheapo ark for a broody/isolation coop (cheap import that doesn't have seasoned wood  >:( - cleaning out was a nightmare as the ends dropped down but thanks to Grannie Annie and Brian when they borrowed it they converted it so the door swings open making cleaning easier), my other 6 coops were made by a chap near Grimsby - they were cheap and work ok although they could do with a modification or two. They do have felt roofs but this is stuck down with tar and heat (thicker stuff not thin roofing felt). I am currently saving up for a couple of solway recycled plastic arks (resembles a pig ark and each accommodates ten hens) which I know most on here will hate but hey it's what I want so there  :lol: Luckily for me I don't need a run as all mine free range all day.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 16:14 »
You need one of these Joy.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 16:15 »
oooh yes but in purple  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 16:16 »
at £425 for a tiny house and run i dont think i will ever try one,

... but what did you think of the quality of the design and manufacture when you inspected them Tom ?

wildwitchy

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 18:00 »
I've built all my set ups myself from good decent wood. The frames have been 2x1 kiln dried battening & then feather edge boarding to fill in sides etc for the goosies & duck houses. To move - proved a nightmare as they weigh a ton!! Fortunaly - not moved often & got handles! Put plastic sloping roofing on. When I had red mite = TERRIBLE. So as much as I dislike eglu's they win hands down over wooden shacks for that. I looked after my friends girls & she has a eglu & I see the pro's.

I'm having a major reshuffle in the summer as I had a terrible outbreak of red mite which drove me insane last year!!!! I have too many chickens for eglus & don't like them for my own reasons but I think the plastic idea is great. I'm going to get something in plastic for the girls but on a bigger scale instead of wood.

xx
size of hen runs

Started by daisy1990 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 19:55
by daisy1990
xx
Housing chickens in a garden

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 19:20
by jinty1911
xx
For the chicken that has everything

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 09:24
by Springlands
xx
A chicken thank you?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 16:18
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 37 queries.