size of hen runs

• 5 Replies

daisy1990

size of hen runs
« on: June 13, 2010, 18:07 »
We are new owners of three chicks and bought a coop with attached run which the manufacturers said was big enough for six hens.  Ideally we would have liked them to be free range but our meadow has been visited by a fox in the past (fur on the style being the give away!) I am now worried the run isn't big enough for them to live in full time.  Any recommendations for size? Any suggestions for building something else that would be fox proof (I am happy to turn an area of the meadow over to them if I can be sure they are safe and it doesn't look too unsightly!
Thanks Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: size of hen runs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 19:37 »
Hi there recommended size of run according to defra  is 1 sq meter per bird (just over 3 ft square), but on this forum they all say at least twice that per bird, also you will have feeders, dust bathing area etc. so will need a bit more space!good luck with your new girls! they are quite addictive :D

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 20:47 »
Thanks will check out the DEFRA site too

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 21:03 »
thanks compost queen for sending the message with great advice, as a new member I am not permitted to reply to you direct, but you have given me some good ideas and I can start building while my little ones grow!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38 »
Many of us made the same mistake when we started out and believed the words of the coop sellers about the number of birds the run will hold. I think we've all had to extend the runs as they were pathetically small. It won't be long before you start to think "hmmm maybe just a couple more would be nice", so think bigger than you currently need. :D

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 19:55 »
sound advice but I would like a bit of garden left to grow veg in (which is another passion!)

xx
Chicken housing/runs/set ups

Started by Pepperpincushion on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 18:00
by wildwitchy
xx
Giant size hen egg!!

Started by Thrift on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 18:23
by Raven81
xx
Have you seen a chicken egg this size before

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 20:27
by evie2
xx
Feeder & drinker size???

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 17:17
by JaK

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.