Housing chickens in a garden

• 6 Replies

grinling

Housing chickens in a garden
« on: March 29, 2011, 23:10 »
Moving to Lincolnshire this summer, east side of Lincoln somewhere. How easy is it to have chooks in a garden and is there any legal bits I need to know. Girls live at my allotment, which I have to give up :(
Any suggestions on where in Lincs. Kids will be going to a school in Woodhall Spa. Need to get hubby on train to work in London.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Housing chickens in a garden
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29 »
Woodhall Spa is lovely but don't think it has a train staion anymore  :(, so a car will be very important should you move there.
I moved from Nottinghamshire but as I have no close neighbours so keeping chickens and cockerels wasn't a problem. Grannie Annie moved from down sarff and again no problems. Dabhand is that way and she had chickens and I think RachelR is that direction too with chickens for eggs and meat. A lot depends on if you own your own property, how big your garden is and the proximity of your neighbours.There are loads of other keepers in Lincolnshire who have no problems either although I wouldn't recommend jumping in and getting cockerels until you are sure about the area and neighbours.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05 »
Looks like your nearest station is Metheringham, but Lincoln would be better if poor old hubby has to work in London.

I don't envy him.  Will he come home every night or stay in town during the week?

I commuted from north east Essex for 6 years.  Usual commute was 6 hours a day, but in bad times like after Hatfield, 8 hours a day.  Kills you!

The chap we get our pork and beef from works in London, but he stays down there through the week, working from home sometimes.

As to chooks, like Joy says, depends really on your location, local bye laws if any and neighbours.

gillian62

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19 »
Hi, I live in Lincoln.  I have a few chucks in the garden ( a couple of them from Grannie Annie - silkie and RIR).  I also have an allotment in the city boundary.  We can have chickens but no cockrels.

As far as I know Lincoln has a 1 train daily through to London, back in the eve, otherwise commuters get train to Newark to the main line, and get to London that way - more choice.

I'm sure you will love living in Lincolnshire, I have lived here all my life (first 20 years in Grantham, then Lincoln since).

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28 »
I have hens in my garden and they love it.  The first thing you have to do is make sure that their area is secure.  We put our hens into the run rather than the garden when we leave the house.  They will destroy anything green within their little feet and beaks range, so make sure that their area isn't somewhere that you treasure green items.  Mine left the roses alone above ground but dug up the roots looking for ants. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 16:05 »
Thanks for the replies. Hubby is a London cabbie, so will go down Thurs and come back Sunday. I can put the girls in my sister's back garden, she lives Meth, but Popcorn, my bantam, can be noisy. Sis and her neighbour have chooks!!
Should I avoid any areas to live?

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 19:20 »
Buy a lovely big smallholding and then you can have lots of chicks (fantasy cockooland I know, but wouldn't it be nice?)  :D  :D

xx
Chickens V garden part 2

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 17:55
by Dominic
xx
Chicken housing/runs/set ups

Started by Pepperpincushion on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 18:00
by wildwitchy
xx
afternoon in the garden

Started by bramford on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:29
by Lindeggs
xx
Muddy garden

Started by yorkylover on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 20:21
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 28 queries.