How many chickens in this space??

• 17 Replies

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« on: August 13, 2007, 23:11 »
Hi
well i am getting nearer to getting these chickens.
Cant afford a posh hen house so have been on the look out for something to adapt and have just bought a tool store from B&Q (damaged so only £15) which i am going to convert.

Basicly it is 4 feet wide by 3 ft high at the back with a sloping roof down to 2ft at the front and its 30inches deep.

Can anyone tell me please how much room chickens need to be comfortable and lay well?  

I will be raising it of the ground and giving them a good sized lump of garden for daytime and they will be in their house at night to keep out foxy.
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 23:21 »
Not Many!!!!  We believe in giving them as much room as possible.  Although realise that not everyone has much space.  I personally wouldn't keep any more than 2 in there, and if you can cover a bit of their run up so they can stay dry when it rains, better still.

This is one early thread, that may help too!

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2071&highlight=

Des C

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:08 »
You have about ten square feet of floor space which should be enough for six large birds to roost in. Your problem is that you may have difficulty arranging perches to suit if your tool store has front doors.
I would go for a single perch across the widest part which should accommodate four large birds with ease. Make their run (if they're not free-ranging) as large as possible with a sheltered area for our delightful weather!!
Good luck.
Des C

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:16 »
and id chop it in half des ,to close to each other makes chucks feather pick :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 13:50 »
I'd agree with Des as long as they have enough run area. (and Munty is always right  :lol: )

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 16:53 »
Thanks for all these replies it sounds like I will be going for 4 chickens probably welsummers or bovan goldlines or bovan nera..erm the black ones.

Useful info about the perches and splitting them up to stop the little peckers from feather picking, will certainly bear that in mind.

I will be making a run for them probably around 18ft by 10 ft and part of that will be covered probably with plastic corrugated sheeting.

I am toying with the idea of adding on a laying area side box bit to give extra space, is it worth while or should I just make a little secret section inside at the bottom one side?

Actually i wonder if I should take a pic of the 'box' I bought and see what you folks think I should do with it design wise I really do want my chickens to be happy and comfy and I would like them to be productive enough for all the bother I am giving my long suffering partner while I am wittering on about these chickens ha ha  bless 'im

(please see lincs to pics in next email down)

chickychick

• Experienced Member
pictures are in the gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 17:29 »
well I tried to work out how to put the pictures on the email but couldnt work it out BUT I DID get them uploaded onto the chicken gallery so if anyone would like to advise about designing the inside layout etc of the chicken house I would be SOOOO grateful.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=667
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=666

The front panel shown in the pic comes off and the lid which is not shown is felted and will be hinged at the back for access.

Sizes are 4ft wide 3ft6 high at the back about 2ft 6 at the front high and 30inches deep

I am wondering if I should be adding an egg laying area outside the box and if the access door should be smaller than the panel that comes out, around the side for example or something else all together...
all ideas gratefully mulled over
thanks
:)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 17:30 »
We love pictures chickychick  :D

Read the second post on this topic if you're not up tp speed with picture posting  :D

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=630

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 17:38 »
thanks aunt sally .. hmm looks a bit clever stuff .. but I did manage to put on two lincs to my images if that is better .. I will get my head around the clever image in the email bit soon  :D

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 00:03 »
cut a hole in the side panel opposite end to the opening and then have a small shed 18x 12 x 12 made to hang on the end with a roof that opens and this wil be great  :wink:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:39 »
Do you mean an egg laying long thin box thing with an opening lid? was that 18inches long by 12 high and 12 deep?

Would it be best to section this off into two inside or will they be happy to just lay in there as a long laying area?

It might be just as easy to make it full length would this be any advantage or disadvantage, I meen the full width accross the end so that would be 30 inches?  Maybe it is best to be little though?

Will certainly put an opening in the end as you suggest and add an egg laying area too opposite end, suppose that will give them more perching space .. sounds good and easier to get the eggs too  :D

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51 »
for the amount of birds your going to get in the shed u only need one :wink:  :)

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35 »
oh thats ok then I didnt want them to be forming a que with the ones at the back shouting 'oy hurry up this egg is killin' me!'
 :roll:  :D

ha ha yeah right ALLLL those eggs .. bet i will be lucky to get any at all ha ha

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38 »
you will get some  :wink:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:47 »
I hope so after all the fuss I have made hee hee.. even if its only the ceramic one i am going to put in to encourage them,

Actually I am quite fascinated to know what it is about putting in a fake egg that gets them to lay?  Is it dependant on colour weight etc or could you put in a egg sized stone and get 'em going?  It does seem weird .. here you are little chicken, you see this is what you shold be producing.. chicken runs off tells her mates they all run off and start knitting eggs just like that

xx
Not sure if I have the right space for chickens?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:35
by Lindeggs
xx
how much indoor space should chickens have

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 16:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How much space do chickens need if they are not free-range?

Started by chrisholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:34
by Flowerpower136
xx
Chickens in very small space - would you report them?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 21:23
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 29 queries.