Chickens in very small space - would you report them?

• 20 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Chickens in very small space - would you report them?
« on: September 06, 2009, 21:08 »
When I was at my allotment today I heard chickens so went to have a look where it was coming from.  It was one of the houses that back onto the allotments, I peeped over the fence and there was a little hen house maybe a 1metre square with a run attached about 1metre by maybe 4metres but it must have had at least 8 birds in it, probably more, I didn't actually count because had my little girl with me and didn't want her to see how squashed they were.  They each had probably just over enough space to actually stand in.

There was also another house behind with similar run with several in, I think I saw 4 one of which was a cockerel.

It was about 2pm so I'd have thought if they were going to be let out they already would have been by then, and it's just disturbed me a bit really.  I mean they were about as squashed as battery chickens in the main run bit and it just really upset me.  I don't know if they are ever let out or not or if they are always in there but if they are always in there I think I should report them, what does everybody else think?  I will check whenever I go for a while and see.

Would it be the rspca or the rspb?  I rang the rspb once about an injured pigeon I found on my drive and they were basically completely useless.  Told me to catch it at 5.30pm take it to a vet and have it put down.  A) the vets was just about to close and I didn't even know where it was so would have to drive right across town and find it and B) I had a 2year child with me who was needing feeding and C) I didn't want them to put it down so it was not exactly helpful!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Chickens in very small space - would you report them?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 21:27 »
The RSPCA are generally more helpful but you may find that you are limited by the fact that it is legal to keep chickens in amazingly small quarters. Might be an idea to start with your allotment comittee as I understand that a lot of them have separate rules on the conditions livestock can be kept in and whether they allow cocks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 21:34 »
Allotmeent committee won't help if it's a house backing on to the lottie  :(
Do they look clean and healthy? I would report them if they looked like they were living in squalor.
My 4 ex batts were housed temporarily in a little house although their pen was plenty big enough. Figured that they wouldn't be too fussed for a short time considering where they'd come from.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 21:41 »
Oops, sorry, speed reading after 13 hours in work! No the allotment comittee won't help at all! Where's that embarrassed smilie gone?

Think we need to start a petition to get John to get it back for us, well me anyway!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 21:57 »
Would you be able to get a photo BB ?

I would be inclined to report if I was sure they were suffering but less than ideal is a grey area.

If they were bantams, then some would argue that 4 sq metres is enough for about 8, allowing for errors of estimation. If, as you say, there was no room to wander and get away from each other, then they need help. I don't suppose you could see if they had water or food ?
No water would make it a definite rspca call.

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 22:55 »
What sort of age were they? my bantam growers are in a small run, but they are only about 6-7wks old so actually still like a small space! makes them feel more secure. also cant put them in the big run yet cause they will get picked on! did it look like they were youngsters?
Also you cant accuse someone of mistreatment based on 1 observation! the owner could of been taken ill or had to go away for the day and couldnt let the birds out! check again in a couple of days!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:05 »
I'll have a proper look next time I go and check for water/food and count how many there actually are and see if they look dirty.

They looked like regular warren types to me, certainly were not small bantams in any case but I wouldn't know if they were young or not.  They were bumping into each other moving about.  Didn't look good I have to say, if they are like that permanently.  I was hoping that maybe the owner is ill or something and just didn't let them out that day otherwise it's not good!

Might try and take a sneaky pic with my mobile, I don't want some irrate woman/man to come running out at me, I'm hopeless in conflicting situations :o)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:11 »
try to see if there is any chicken poo on the surrounding lawn in the garden, it may be that they are let out, just not when you happen to be there.  It could be just plain ignorance on the part of the keeper, you know how these runs are advertised!  Be careful and don't presume the worst, although it's obviously not acceptable.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 17:05 »
When I was at my allotment today I heard chickens so went to have a look where it was coming from.  It was one of the houses that back onto the allotments, I peeped over the fence and there was a little hen house maybe a 1metre square with a run attached about 1metre by maybe 4metres but it must have had at least 8 birds in it, probably more, I didn't actually count because had my little girl with me and didn't want her to see how squashed they were.  They each had probably just over enough space to actually stand in.

There was also another house behind with similar run with several in, I think I saw 4 one of which was a cockerel.

It was about 2pm so I'd have thought if they were going to be let out they already would have been by then, and it's just disturbed me a bit really.  I mean they were about as squashed as battery chickens in the main run bit and it just really upset me.  I don't know if they are ever let out or not or if they are always in there but if they are always in there I think I should report them, what does everybody else think?  I will check whenever I go for a while and see.

Would it be the rspca or the rspb?  I rang the rspb once about an injured pigeon I found on my drive and they were basically completely useless.  Told me to catch it at 5.30pm take it to a vet and have it put down.  A) the vets was just about to close and I didn't even know where it was so would have to drive right across town and find it and B) I had a 2year child with me who was needing feeding and C) I didn't want them to put it down so it was not exactly helpful!

does it look like a permanent home for them or maybe a temporary place while their usual place is sorted/fixed??

doesn't sound good though does it  ???

archiesgems

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 17:10 »
if they are fully grown chucks kept in this size pen then yes they certainly need to be reported, go onto the DEFRA website and report it to them, although they can be a bit of a pain sometimes they really do do an excellent job and they will do something about it

flangey

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 17:43 »
Hi bashfull, I'm with you, I hate to see that sort of thing.  Will you keep us all posted because its bothering me, even though I havn't seen them myself!! :wub:

Ruby Red

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 20:31 »

Sorry but Im with you as well. Even if they are usually let out later it still seems a tiny area to keep them in. I f they are bumping around then its cruel. My gut instinct would be to report them to the RSPCA.  Ignorance isnt an excuse, people should read all they can first before they get any livestock.How many times do we read about animal cruelty (usually horses) and wonder why no one did anything.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 01:09 »
Just a suggestion,but would it be worth knocking on the door and explaining your worries,or asking a neighbour?
You don't have to say anything inflamatory,like 'I'm thinking of reporting you',just say that you noticed they had chickens and could you see them because you like chickens.
You would know straight away,if they act guilty that they know they are being unfair/cruel to the chickens.
They may invite you in,so you can actually see them up close.If they are still cramped together,you would be able to express your concern and then decide how to act.
I personally wouldn't try the R.S.P.C.A.,in our area they are useless.Contacting the local council and/or defra imo would be quicker and better.
It is possible that all they need is some help and advice.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do
Lydia

iwantanallotment

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 01:35 »
Sounds awful!

If you can do as others have said and have another sneaky look, be sure of your facts and figures etc.....any evidence on the garden of them being let out etc, any food & water available, number of chooks and approx area.....then if it still looks bad get onto DEFRA, as archiesgems suggested.

RSPCA are useless enough with domestic pets, let alone poultry. I'm convinced they do the odd highly publicised rescue & rehabilitation/court case just to gain PR for their fundraising drives, because I know many people who've called them after finding an injured/sick/dumped animal - and their response has *always* been "call the dog warden" or "take it back where you found it".
NOT what you want to be told when you find a suffering animal! They pass the buck.

I contacted them once re a pup I found dumped with suspected parvo, he couldn't even stand up  - they did not want to know. "Just leave him there", I was told  :ohmy:
It took me 8 hours of phone calls before that pup received any assistance - and then it wasn't from RSPCA!  :mad:

Apologies for the rant, but if all is not well DEFRA sounds like your best bet.

Please keep us posted?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20 »
im with you im afraid and have never really found the R.S.P.C.A useful or helpful at all. i would check again in a few days time, there may have been a reason. i always put my girls away in the run if im going out or doing something which means, either im not going to hear them if they need help, or im not going to get to them quickly if they need help. if they are still in the tiny space, and there is no evidencethat they get let out, i.e poo or feathers in the garden, then look at reporting them. good luck, and i hope for the chucks sake, it was temporary x

xx
Not sure if I have the right space for chickens?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:35
by Lindeggs
xx
How many chickens in this space??

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 18:07
by chickychick
xx
how much indoor space should chickens have

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 16:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How much space do chickens need if they are not free-range?

Started by chrisholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:34
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 36 queries.