Free Range Hybrids

• 6 Replies

Fisherman

Free Range Hybrids
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:12 »
My Hybrid chickens have been allowed to free range all day during recent weeks and I have noticed that they are laying less eggs and that the shells are a little thinner than when they were kept in their pen most of the time. Is this because they aren't eating as much layer pellets and oyster shell or is it just a coincidence?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 18:43 by Fisherman »

Casey76

Re: Free Range Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:37 »
It is probably just coincidence.  My layers free range (well over about 140 m2) and only very occasionally I'd get a brittle shell

However you could try letting them free range for just part of the day to ensure they eat their proper ration of layers.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 14:30 »
Hi
One of my hens had a problem with very thin shelled eggs last year, I tried everything to improve the shells but nothing seemed to work, then she took her winter break. When she started laying again everything was fine until I stopped giving them there warm mash in the mornings, within a week the old problem returned I resumed the mash made of layer pellets and straight away and from then on the eggs have returned to normal. Mine free range most of the day as well.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 14:37 »
Mine are out and about most of the day but not straight away. I let them out of their coop then they get their layers pellets and fresh water. They stay confined in their big run until they've had their breakfast and laid me mine  :D  They get let out when they've eaten their proper breakfast, and not until  :)  Same again at night. They go into their secure run before it drops dark where they get chance to fill up on layers pellets before they go to bed for the night. 

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 15:42 »
My Girls are in the run most of the day only let out during early evening hours and no probs with eggs.

I do have to sit with them at the mo as a new large cat has just moved into the area (dont trust him yet)
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 18:49 »
Thanks everyone. All the birds laid today and the shells look good. Must have been a bit of a temporary blip perhaps caused by a bit of a fright or something!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05 »
They could be laying away!! ;)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Going from free range to penned

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 11:19
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Broody ex-free range hen!

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 08:51
by Sassy
xx
Storm & Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:39
by Sassy

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 31 queries.