Broody ex-free range hen!

• 3 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Broody ex-free range hen!
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:12 »
We have 2 ex-free range hens, when we got them over a year ago they were very small and quite bald, but one of them looked a different colour and slightly larger then the other 'brown hens', she has now blossomed into a large, soft thick feathered ginger hen who squawks alot! In March she started to go abit 'spring mad' she escaped made a nest in a bush stopped laying, when she started to lay it was in her nest! However the last couple of days she is permanently in her nest, when I take her out (all hot and sweaty :tongue2:) she makes a rosey sound (not heard before), but this seems to send the other one crazy and she attacks her- I'm surprised how the brown hen has still got a natural instinct to send her back to the nest!!(if that is what is happening), I even have to take her out and put her in the coop at night, which she hates, my Mum said just throw a blanket over her!! :D I love my hens and there seems to be something new to fascinate me each day!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody ex-free range hen!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:33 »
yes she is certainly broody which is wonderful considering her past. If you want to hatch chicks then get a little broody coop and some fertile eggs, otherwise you need to keep removing the eggs and keep her off the nest.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:54 »
I also think its lovely! She hasn't laid for a few days but I have been taking her off to feed and have a drink, under supervision because of the other one! What a naughty thing to say getting a broody coop and having little ones!!esp. as there are some adorable photos at the moment!! :D  :D

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51 »
Naughty but very nice. I wish one of mine would go broody. I wished this last year and theyear before  :mellow: :mellow: But they only seem to go broody if you aren't interested in chicks ::) ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Free Range Chicken Missing 8 days just found her broody

Started by pookey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 19:09
by pookey
xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Chicks that Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 20:28
by woodburner
xx
Free range in the garden

Started by dragontattooist on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:51
by Stree

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.