Kidney problem?

• 6 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Kidney problem?
« on: March 01, 2011, 14:43 »
Well its poor ol' Hetty again, she is still on Baytril but hasn't perked up like she did last time, she however is now showing different symptons, I've had her nearly a year as a rescue hen and is being treated for egg peritonitus however now she has diarrhoea to the point where it can be just water coming out, she is also drinking loads and she is eating, she looks very tired but is still wandering around and will scratch but very tentatively, after research I think it is her kidneys, now what concerns me is, is she in pain? It is recommended to change her food (she isn't laying) because of the high protein and calcium content, how can I do that when the other girls are laying?sorry to be so long winded but I would like to give her every chance any ideas much appreciated

bantam novice

Re: Kidney problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 19:25 »
Hello Sneezer, I have no advice; just wanted to wish you and Hetty well.  Good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 20:06 »
Hi Sneezer,
sorry to hear bout Hetty.  What food have you got her on at the minute?

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 20:18 »
Just sending (((((hugs)))))).  I have a sick chick as well and know how worrying it can be.  :( 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 20:27 »
the only way you can feed her differently is to put her in a run for a couple of hours in the morning with her own feed and then repeat this again mid afternoon. I know chickens graze all day but the majority of free range hens eat their layers morning and mid afternoon /early tea time.
I had a dog with whose kidneys packed up and the time near the end she was unable to keep her food down so this is when we made the decision enough was enough, so just monitor the situation with your girl xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 22:30 »
As so often with pets, we have to try the vet care but be ready to make the final decision based on quality of life
ManicMum

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46 »
Thanks for all your replies its lovely to know you have support from others, she is on a mix of ex-batt crumb and layers mash, she is very suspicious of me and food at the moment after I tried to put a/b on grapes for her (after seperating from others) she didn't eat them, and will now only eat when the others are there!  I think her life is ok for moment but am ready to make the decision when the time comes as we know she probably won't get back to her old self, well she is up and on another worm hunt with the others  :)

xx
Kidney problems?

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 19:06
by Jomtie
xx
Could Rusty have kidney failure?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 21:18
by Henlady
xx
Excess calcium and kidney damage

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 11:48
by bantam novice
xx
New problem...

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 13:04
by min200

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 37 queries.