Yipee! Got an allotment at last!

• 3 Replies

Maxine Groobey

Yipee! Got an allotment at last!
« on: February 25, 2011, 16:08 »
Hi all,

I have not been on the site since last summer, but great news... I have an allotment at last  :D Problem is is done nowt but chuck it down at weekends ever since  :(

However I have kept myself bust with planning the plot, which is now done, and looking at seed catalogues  :happy:

Can't wait to get digging  :dry:

The plot is in fair condition although it has a small patch of knot weed that the council will continue to treat.  A bit of advice here is needed, if I put my shed or greenhouse on top of the knot weed will that stop it growing or will it just eventually find its way under and out?

Also there is quite a lot of brambles that I though i would deal with by digging out as I go alonmg and come to cultivate that patch, what do you think is the best way to deal with it?

Look forward to getting your ideas on the post  :lol:

PS great to be back, you are all ok  8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Yipee! Got an allotment at last!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 16:41 »
Congrats on your new lotty Maxine  :D

My instinct is that the knotweed would win ...

I think you've got the right idea about the brambles; you could cut them off to stop them growing too vigorously if you wanted, just don't cut them too low or you won't have any lever to hoik them out when you come to deal with them.  Digging is the best way to get them out - many people swear by a mattock / azada but I found a fork did the job too.

P.S. I'm moving your question across to Grow Your Own as you're asking some GYO type questions :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 16:43 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bigben

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 18:35 »
I am one of those who swear by my azada - it really does a great job with brambles.

I would not put the shed on top of the knotweed it will just stop you digging it out and will not really stop it growing - though it may slow it for the first year. I think you are going to need to dig out all you can then wait until whatever you miss starts actively growing and consider glyphosphating it.

Good luck!

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:24 »
I'm another fan of the Azada for tackling brambles. Does the hacking and digging without you having to get as close in as with a spade or fork.

xx
yipee

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:06
by Madame Cholet
xx
Asparagus yipee

Started by Sassy Lassy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 09:02
by Sassy Lassy
xx
Yipee, 1st harvest

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 23:15
by SalJ1980
xx
allotment

Started by marion on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:36
by gobs

Page created in 0.749 seconds with 28 queries.