How do busy people cope?

• 32 Replies

Nige2Plots

Re: How do busy people cope?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 09:08 »
I have two plots and work full time too. I find the easiest way to keep a full productive and tidy plot is don't go at it like "A Bull in a China shop"
 If I have a four hour session planned, I spend the first hour generally hoeing the weeds and generally tiding up on both plots The next two hours ( if it's the growing season ) I will spend sowing or planting on, either in the Greenhouse or outside. The last hour I mow the paths and trim the edges and generally admire and enjoy the plots.
It is a hobby that you need to enjoy because if you don't you will not get anything done as it becomes more of a chore. If you do plan ahead, life is easier and things do not get on top of you. For instance always Winter Dig and let the weather do the work for you.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 14:44 »
I have been given an extra plot and I work full time as well. I plan carefully on my spreadsheet when I cannot get down there, and when I do go there (perhaps once a week in the winter time, several times a week in the height of the growing season) I make good use of the time there, plus time for brewing a cup or two of coffee and general nattering to others down there:

(i) always a BIT of weeding - a small area per visit;

(ii) watering in stages, too - 14 rods is far too much to water in one go. I have tried that and boy it is tedious.

(iii) sowing/planting a bit at a time

(iv) a SHORT to-do list every other visit or so; short but purposeful so that it can be done.

And it all becomes rather "effortless" and un-chore-like when I adopt this approach. And it remains a joy as a hobby.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 20:10 »
avoid a few obvious traps - dont plant potatoes so early you need to be visiting everytime frost treatens when planting just a few days later means you dont. Dont plant out plants unless they were very well watered and rain is likley, certainly dont plant out if a dry spell is likely. Establish friendships and perhaps swop an hour of heavy help with an older person for them watering round for you occasionally. Hoe hoe hoe - much quicker that tackling a  jungle of weeds.
Dwarf beans dont need you to put up sticks as runners do. Wider spacing means easier access and easier hoeing. Dont plant up everything. Brassicas are less trouble than most crops but need either spraying or covering - choice is yours.
So what if courgettes get too big once or twice - pretend they are marrows.Any old stuff is good compost anyway. Take any opportunity to catch up or get ahead. My holiday in Egypt was cancelled so now my polytunnel is planted up ahead of schedule etc.
When you can do so leave things tidy, tools clean and watering cans filled for quick visit next time.
Dont waste time thinking but do spend time thinking a good job. Make your prescence felt so neighbours know you mean business when you are there - you cant chat but a friendly hello is enough and only takes seconds.
Enjoy
R

Good advice - cheers! I work full time upto 10hours a day and with two nippers and a band to keep going time is very short to say the least!

xx
busy busy bees

Started by scraigy1982 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 21:50
by Charl89
xx
Can Squashes cope with 8c

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 10:17
by fatbelly
xx
Which crops cope best with part shade?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 09:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Chilli varieties that can cope with being outdoors

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 22:21
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 30 queries.