How do busy people cope?

• 32 Replies

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
Re: How do busy people cope?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:09 »
a little, often.

I work full time but manage without it being a chore at all - in fact it is still a pleasure.

In the wintery, spring months I tend to go there at the weekends only for a few hours, sometimes in the week for a short time, and that's it. Though sometimes I will take a good book and some food and stay there for longer.

In the summer months I come down every other day in the week for about 45 mins a time for general weeding and the odd harvesting. And one of the weekend days I will come down for a few hours. That is plenty of time to get everything done and enjoy it

I'd heartily recommend "the half hour allotment" book - one of the better allotment books around: it is useful, encouraging and spot-on with tips.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:29 by Ian_A »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:23 »
I work full time and have other hobbies and commitments so it is always hard to find enough time for the plot. I try to get there every morning for an hour before work (when the days are longer) and spend a few hours there at the weekend when I can.

When I retire, my plot will be the smartest of them all  :happy: :tongue2:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

madcat

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40 »
 I keep a pair of wellies, old trousers and a fleece in the car.  They make it possible to drop into the plot without going home first (it is only a further 50 yds) - if I go home I somehow don't get out again .... the dinner needs to go on the cat needs a cuddle the post needs attention etc etc  :blink:  And a suit, tights and stillettos do not make for good gardening !!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

savbo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:11 »
John's excellent 'Essential Allotment Guide' has a couple of pages totting up how much time an allotment needs.... it's doable!

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 13:36 »
avoid a few obvious traps - dont plant potatoes so early you need to be visiting everytime frost treatens when planting just a few days later means you dont. Dont plant out plants unless they were very well watered and rain is likley, certainly dont plant out if a dry spell is likely. Establish friendships and perhaps swop an hour of heavy help with an older person for them watering round for you occasionally. Hoe hoe hoe - much quicker that tackling a  jungle of weeds.
Dwarf beans dont need you to put up sticks as runners do. Wider spacing means easier access and easier hoeing. Dont plant up everything. Brassicas are less trouble than most crops but need either spraying or covering - choice is yours.
So what if courgettes get too big once or twice - pretend they are marrows.Any old stuff is good compost anyway. Take any opportunity to catch up or get ahead. My holiday in Egypt was cancelled so now my polytunnel is planted up ahead of schedule etc.
When you can do so leave things tidy, tools clean and watering cans filled for quick visit next time.
Dont waste time thinking but do spend time thinking a good job. Make your prescence felt so neighbours know you mean business when you are there - you cant chat but a friendly hello is enough and only takes seconds.
Enjoy
R

jimmytheshed

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 21:00 »
Thank you to everyone who replied, i will keep on at it. Already got a helper sorted, in exchange for some growing space for is season only.Helps them out they are short of space. Then i will see how it goes, if alls good i will do that part next year as well. helps them, helps me, cheers :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 22:20 »
As others have said its down to being very organised, and taking advantage of the weather. I work full time, have three kids (8-16), evening and weekend activities for them and a disabled husband. Also greenhouses (3) at home and chickens.

Weekday evenings are spent planning, and sowing the odd thing at this time of year, later on I'll put in the odd half hour at the plot as the evenings get lighter. Weekends are planned with military precision. Most of the heavy work is already done during the winter as and when the weather permits, then cover with weed suppressing membrane.

I usually grow plants at home to set out when I can, for me I find it saves time as I can space things better therefore making any weeding easier. My best friend on the plot is my hoe, 2 mins of hoeing every day (if you can) makes a real difference. Hoe even if you don't think you need to.

Good luck
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Benandbill

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 22:29 »
kingdhesiii I salute you, 60 hours a week in work, a social life AND 4 hours a week down the allotment...  That aint bad  ;)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 22:51 »
I come home have tea, after tea spend some time with wife and kids, then as soon as i can go to lotty until dark.
i actually find the end of the day down on plot real  nice.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

archibtbm

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 09:37 »
i got given the  30 minute allotmenteer book which showed how to break down jobs when I first got a plot.  Very usuful book and I creaetd a few raised beds to manage things a bit better

bigben

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 14:22 »
I would agree with the weed fabric - that and make a point of doing a bit of hoeing every time you visit. I start at the bottom and move a weed bucket up to indicate how far I got, when I get to the top I start again at the bottom. Every time I go a just do 15min,it really helps. I also think it useful to spend the last 5 min of your visit planning the next job so when you arrive you can just get stuck in.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 18:44 »
This book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-hour-Allotment-Royal-Horticultural-Society/dp/0711226059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298745675&sr=8-1 is great.  Its a bit of a novice book really but its worth a sneaky peek from a book shop. 
I struggled last year and my plot was quite weedy some months lol but this book has really helped. 

LittleSlugInTheNorth

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 18:56 »
I cope with working full time and having an allotment by accepting that for certain months of the year the housework slips down the priority list  :blush:

Elaine G

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 22:56 »
I cope with working full time and having an allotment by accepting that for certain months of the year the housework slips down the priority list  :blush:

Certain months?
Thats 11 for me  :lol:
I normally have a bit of a clean before Mum comes at Christmas!

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 00:51 »
Once I had taken early retirement I expected to be able to spend more time on the plot without rushing full blast. I was looking forward to sitting occasionally to drink tea.   ;)

Now I'm a carer and there's no free time in the evenings and the chance of a catch-up 5 hours once in a while on a quiet Saturday is out of the question.

It's going to be interesting this year. I think I'll be there early morning and for 2 hours late afternoon.

Every time I go down I hoe. I'm now really quick at it and the plants no longer get decapa their tops chopped off! Belting through with the hoe helps keep the weeds down and done regularly they don't become a problem.

I might have to ask my OH if she'll go and do the harvesting or maybe water once in a while although I am reluctant to encourage her to "help" as her space is the flower garden and my help is not encouraged  ::)

As several have said: choosing to grow crops that need a bit less attention is a wise idea to keep the plot going with less attention. Raspberries give a good return for relatively less time input.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
busy busy bees

Started by scraigy1982 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 21:50
by Charl89
xx
Can Squashes cope with 8c

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 10:17
by fatbelly
xx
Which crops cope best with part shade?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 09:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Chilli varieties that can cope with being outdoors

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 22:21
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 38 queries.