new seed nursery

• 6 Replies

bigmac

new seed nursery
« on: February 20, 2011, 19:15 »
 :) hi all , i am new to this forum allthough i have visited it many time , i have an allotment and i need some advice i wopuld like to try a seed nursery but i do not know what can be sown in one that will be ok to lift and replant in its final growing place . can you help please regards mac ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: new seed nursery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 22:11 »
Welcome to the site bigmac  :D

I'm not altogether certain about what you mean by a 'seed nursery' - could you explain the phrase, please?  It will help us focus on answering your question.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Totty

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 22:18 »
I think maybe you mean a seed bed?
 Somewhere you can start off your seedlings before transplanting them?
 Firstly set aside a piece of ground and thouroughly weed it and remove stones. Create a really fine tilth. Then sow any seed which it says can be transplanted on the packet. Not root veg though!

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 22:20 »
 Snap Totty.
I think he means a nursery bed, You start your cabbage etc close together in the soil, until they need transplanting into final positions.

Cabbages and leeks, are the only things I can think of at the mo  :unsure: goes off to Google...............

this explains it better than I can :)
http://www.howto.co.uk/learning/garden-food/june_2nd_week/#vegetable-snippets-nursery-beds

bigmac

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 17:48 »
 :)hi all , thanks for your input , you are both right , what i am after is a bed to start seeds of in and when the plants are ready to place in there growing area then i can transplant them , i know root veg wont be any good for this , but what about  onions or peas ect, any ideas?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 20:12 »
I wouldn't do it with onions as I suspect the root disturbance in digging them up might trigger premature bolting, you might be OK with peas and similar plants though.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 20:37 »
I can't think of much of an advantage in starting peas in one outdoor place and then moving them to another. Whilst not as bad a sweetcorn, transplanting of peas is usually done without too much root disturbance, e.g. guttering, good root ball in pots etc..
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
new nursery

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:36
by franmeerkat
xx
nursery advice

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 09:33
by willp
xx
Brassicas nursery bed

Started by happy chick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 16:33
by polly tunnel
xx
nursery beds?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 22:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.754 seconds with 38 queries.